Chapter 9: Betrayal and broken ones

Instinctively, Peter's hands shot upwards, trying to grab onto anything that would stop his fall, but it was too late. As he dropped, he got the uncomfortable feeling that his stomach had been left behind and while it was a funny feeling to have on a rollercoaster, it was not as pleasant when you were about to fall to a fiery end.

Before Peter could do the whole 'last thoughts' thing which inevitably probably wouldn't have been as grand as he would have liked, the wind was knocked out of him as the iron spider suit hit him square in the back. At record speed, it unravelled over his skin, a little uncomfortable considering it was going over his regular clothes, but the suit seemed to try and shift to accommodate them.

"That's what I'm talking about!" Peter yelled enthusiastically and pointed his wrist upwards, shooting a web to break his fall and swinging past his backpack grabbing it right before it fell into the inferno below. "You never disappoint, Karen." Peter said as he landed on the floor, he had thrown Flash onto not long ago.

"Naturally, Peter." Karen's voice replied in his helmet. "Hostiles are currently contained to Alpha Vault 3 and Ms Potts is trying to get inside but it appears they have barricaded the doors."

"Alright, let me get Flash down to the others and then I'll try and work something out with Pepper." Peter said walking over to Flash who was still unconscious. "By the way, is he ok?"

Peter's suit did a scan of Flash and brought up a replica of Flash's vitals on the screen before his eyes. "I believe that he has a mild concussion and bruising to his shoulder and back but nothing severe."

"Alright, that's good then."

"The bruises will likely be painful." Karen added.

"I didn't ask." Peter said but he grinned anyway as he hoisted Flash up and into a fireman's lift.

"You thought it though."

"What floor is MJ on now, has she reached the rest of the class?" Peter asked, striding out the door of the destroyed lab and towards the stairwell near the lifts. With the hand that wasn't braced against Flash's back he webbed up his backpack strap to stop it from tearing any more than it already had.

"Based on the limited access that I have to back up security cameras, Michelle and your classmates are currently on floor 6." Karen told him as he reached the top of the stairs and peered down between the flights. Nothing like 11 floors to get the blood pumping before having to tackle six bad guys.

"Well, all in a day's work, I guess." Peter said shrugging and started to take the stairs two at a time.

The time allowed Peter to think up what he was going to say to MJ so that she wouldn't suspect anything. He wasn't sure what he would say if she asked about how Peter had asked for his suit whilst hanging from a water pipe fifty feet in the air and what exactly the 'suit' was. It wouldn't necessarily take a genius to connect the dots... and MJ pretty much was a genius. Perhaps she would've forgotten that part because of shock or something? Peter knew it was wishful thinking.

"S-Spider-Man?" Flash mumbled from behind Peter's shoulder.

"You bet." Peter said, deepening his voice a little to make him sound different, though he doubted Flash was in any condition to ID him. Flash mumbled something unintelligible and then stopped talking and Peter wondered whether he had passed out again.

According to the time on his suit interface, it took Peter one minute and 12 seconds to get down to his classmates, who had now reached Floor Four and counting.

Peter caught up with them in the stairwell.

"Ahem." He cleared his throat and gave a little wave as half the class and Mr Harrington turned to look back at him.