Chapter 39

For the next week, Jay, Evie, Mal, Lonnie, Carlos, and Jane all helped to take care of Sylphrenia, but she kept getting steadily worse. She was becoming weaker and weaker, and she had developed a cough. The only good thing was that she had stopped throwing up after the first few days.

All of her friends had tried to convince her not to come to the Greeting Party at Auradon Prep, but Sylphrenia had insisted that she needed to come, at least for the beginning. Only Evie knew her reason, so that morning, she came over to Syl's apartment early and helped her get dressed. Her green dress was loose and simple, but Syl was having a difficult time raising her arms above her head, so Evie helped her get her dress on and do her hair.

Jay arrived at her apartment twenty minutes before they were meant to arrive and Evie left to make some last minute preparations for the day.

Jay drove Syl to Auradon Prep and escorted her to the front lawn, where students, teachers, and parents were all gathered eagerly to greet the newest VKs.

Syl was leaning heavily on her boyfriend's arm as he lead her around the statue of King Beast, and through the bustling crowd of the Auradon Knights marching band, who were wearing their blue and gold uniforms and were blasting out an exciting number. The cheer squad was next to them, and were shaking their pom-poms to the beat, rallying the growing crowd.

"It's perfect," Syl said, leaning closer to Jay. "Much better than the reception you guys had."

Jay laughed, waving to a proud-looking Beast and Belle. "Yeah, all we had was you, Audrey, and Ben."

"The band was there too," Syl protested.

"They ran just about as soon as we came," Jay told her as they approached Evie, Doug, Jane, and Carlos. They were all looking incredibly excited, Doug in his band uniform with Evie beside him, and Carlos telling Jane something as she clutched him arm.

"Hi guys!" Evie exclaimed as Jay and Syl came up next to them. Carlos and Jay bumped their fists together while Evie hugged Syl. When she let go, Syl wobbled for a second on her feet before Jay wrapped an arm back around her waist and leaned her against her shoulder.

"You look terrible, Syl. Maybe you should have skipped the party and met the new VKs after," Jane said, looking at her friend worriedly.

"I had to come," Syl said, sharing a conspiring look with Evie and Doug.

"I'm making her leave after we head to the Isle," Jay told their friends. "Fairy Godmother found someone who was willing to drive her back to her apartment, and she can watch on the television."

Carlos opened his mouth to say something, but before he could, Evie noticed something out of the corner of her eye. "Here they come," she gasped. She and Syl shared anticipating looks as Doug took hold of his baton and started to lead the band.

Jay leaned close to Sylphrenia's ear. "I feel like there's something you're not telling me."

She smiled at him before kissing his cheek. "You'll find out soon."

Mal and Ben made their grand entrance, both dressed decoratively in their respective colors; Mal in purple, and Ben in yellow and blue. Mal surveyed the crowd as Ben adjusted his crown and stepped in front of the crowd to speak. Mal moved to join her friends, but Fairy Godmother blocked her path, murmuring something to her that the crowd couldn't hear. Mal said something as she took her place by Ben's side on the stage, and they waved out to the jubilant audience.

"Bibbidi-bobbidi, one two, one two. Can everybody hear me?" asked Fairy Godmother, testing the microphone. "Ben," she said pointedly and passed him the golden mic.