Wattpad Original
There are 8 more free parts

CHAPTER FOUR

FINGERS DESCENDED UPON the tabletop, barely grazing the fine surface of the wood before lifting off of it, only to repeat the same action once more until the result was a rhythm-less tune that threatened to not only bore holes upon the surface of the table but also to drive Jeffery insane.

Yet, Jeffery could not bring himself to stop the nonsensical drumming of his fingers, for although the sound irritated him, it was an involuntary action that was a clear sign of his anxiety—a bad habit he could not abstain from.

But today, his anxiety was not unfounded, for what man in his situation wouldn't be anxious about not only breaking his vow to never be tied to a woman in matrimony, but also having to be tied to a complete stranger?

Curling his fingers into a fist, Jeffery cursed London and its rumor mongers. Never in a million years could he have imagined a day would come when he would care anything for what people said about him, and for several years as he climbed the social ladder—diligently conquering every limitation so cruelly set before him—he had ignored the rumors, until his plans to run for parliament forced him to come face to face with them. It was only then that he realized how truly tarnished his image was. He had learned, ever so late, how deep the rumors ran; from his rumored impotency, to his sexuality being the topic of every tea party, card game, ball, and whatever gathering London's highest society deemed fit to indulge in. There was no reason for the rumors except the inconceivable fact that a man, barely a few weeks over the age of forty, remained unmarried and unaffiliated with the pleasures of a whore.

For many years, Jeffery remained unapologetic about his decision to remain unmarried while he climbed the ladder of influence, until his marital status posed a dangerous threat to his desire to climb the ladder of power and forced him to concede to finding a wife...

...temporarily.

A woman to serve the purpose of seeing him attain his lifelong dream of winning a seat in parliament; a purpose which once served would bring an end to their marriage. Unlike many, Jeffery neither required companionship nor heirs. He especially did not need a woman to distract him—to betray him.

Leaning heavily against the chair, his mind wandered to the baron, Lord Cartridge. Fate had brought them together. One needed a temporary bride, and the other in need of a relief from his life of debauchery.

Men like Lord Cartridge were fools who were bound to run into an unfortunate end sooner than later, but rather than be irritated by his unwise decisions, Jeffery was thankful for them. He was thankful to have found a man desperate enough to have his daughter be wed in exchange for the continued lifestyle he sought to maintain among members of society.

Pulling out his pocket watch from his breast pocket, he stared at it. They were two days late; the servant and his temporary bride. With every second that ticked by, his anxiety rose several notches and fear clouded his mind with dreadful possibilities; perhaps Lord Cartridge had changed his mind? Perhaps the baron had found a way out of his bankruptcy and had become unwilling to hand his daughter over to Jeffery?

Rising to his feet, a puff of air escaped his nostrils as he ran a trembling hand through his hair. They were but nine months from the elections; he had no time for the cunning ways of the baron! The very thought of the loathsome man changing his mind angered Jeffery, yet he was left with no other choice but to wait. A few more days, he told himself, and if neither his servant nor the baron's daughter arrived at his estate, he would simply find an alternative, or perhaps journey by himself to Aberdeen in search of the baron.

He didn't have the time to journey; he hissed. He was indeed in the worst place to be; at the mercy of another.

Jeffery fought the arms of fear that threatened to drive him mad for an entire week. He told himself his bride and servant were delayed. He told himself a storm must have caught up with them; a horse must have died; or perhaps the journey must have been more tedious than he had initially imagined. He pondered upon several possibilities except the disheartening possibility of the baron betraying him by changing his mind to give his daughter about the marriage.