Chapter 2

You guide your children into the little cabin on the training field where you all stay until Erik and Arlin are sixteen and ready for battle. The mother within you prays this whole fiasco blows over before they reach the proper age, but the soldier within you is proud to watch them grow into strong young men willing to sacrifice everything for their home even though they don't know that part yet. The thought of sending them off to battle fills your heart with worry yet pride. Deep down, you know they will be fine. You raised strong children all on your own while everyone else just saw them as tools or pawns.

The footsteps of loud boots can be heard from outside, so you quickly hold your children close. Every night you fear that Captain Levi would change his mind on waiting till they are old enough, but you know he is not like that. He is one to waver every possibility before doing something too reckless especially putting a clueless child out there to fight Titans. As always, the door opens for Eren and Armin to walk through. They remain here with the three of you. They are put in charge of guarding and protecting the future soldiers. Makes sense since they are the fathers of the two. Deep down, the whole situation about living with the two older versions is really awkward.

You were married to Eren for three years, and Armin you were married to until Arlin was born. There wasn't a huge gap between the two. You rushed into marrying Armin because you were scared of raising a child on your own, but now you are raising two. You were scared of being alone in general. Having a baby with Armin made you realize that it wasn't fair for him. He was someone you used, so you wouldn't feel lonely and you knew he would have never left you or hurt you in anyway unlike Eren.

The first year you were married to Eren was a spark and a glimpse into the fairytale happily ever after ending. He treated you like the princess you wanted to be for so long, but also treated you like the respected soldier that you were. That was until you got pregnant with Erik. You began to see less and less of Eren. He never once told you why. So many times you felt alone when the baby would kick inside your belly, wondering if that all was a mistake. You truly believed in those moments that Erik was a mistake. An accident. Remembering that made you hate yourself sometimes, but then you had to remind yourself that you were only seventeen at the time, you were not ready for the commitment of a child. Those full nine months, it felt like you were a single mother even though you were still married to that baby's father who should have been there for you. But, his obsession with Titans kept growing and he would leave with his troops without saying a single word to you. Your time in the Survey Corps was over once your baby bump began to show. You spent most of your pregnancy alone, in bed, cleaning, never once did you feel the need to go outside except if you needed food or more fire wood.

Those nine months were just straight up torture. Everything that made you you was washed away. That was until Erik Jaeger was born. The pain yet pleasure that came after giving birth to the most precious being in your life. His head filled with light brown peach fuzz and his tiny hands did not hesitate to grab onto the closest finger he could. Once those tiny little fingers wrapped around your pointer finger, everything you was thought made the tears explode out of your eyes. That child was not a mistake, nor was he an accident. He was not the being that ruined your life. In fact, you loved him more than anyone could ever imagine. That child was living proof that you were strong enough to be alone. As long as you had him, you were never going to be lonely. The love you had for your child just kept growing over the years. He may look like his father, but he never acted like him. It was just you and him against the world. Two years later, you divorced Eren. You hated being left behind every chance he got and soon the goodbye kisses became less and less and the "I love you"s never slipped from your lips anymore.

"Daddy!!" the two young boys shout as they rush over to their signature father and hug what they could reach.

You remain seated in your spot on the couch while you watch them all gather around the tiny living room. Erik and Arlin return to the floor to continue a little puzzle you pulled out for them, hoping it would keep them occupied for a bit so the mother within you can catch a break. Arlin, you know is going to get frustrated with it when the one piece he tries won't fit anywhere, and Erik, you know will probably work on it through the night if you allow him which you won't.

"So what's for dinner?" Eren asks while looking around the coffee table where you usually have a few left overs from the kids' dinners.

You roll your eyes and put to kitchen. "Start cooking then. We've eaten already. We just whipped up a few quick sandwiches for the night. Both the kids and I were exhausted from the training you put them through." Not only that they forced you to show them a few moves. Little did you know how out of shape you were. Who knew that having two kids would put you out of the game this bad. "There should be a few pieces of turkey and bread left. Not sure about cheese though. Maybe a can of soup is in there." You lean your head back to look up at the ceiling as you think. "If you would allow me to go out alone once in a while instead of train, I might actually get some shopping done." A bit of that is teasing, but they know it's true. After a while, your children will not survive on bread if you have anything to say about it. Hunting is one of your best skills that you learned from your father within your youth. It helped a lot on those nights you were patrolling around the forests for Titans.

Eren huffs a bit before making his way into the kitchen as Armin lingers behind for a bit. Instead of following, he sits beside you but keeps his eyes on the two little ones still trying to fit together the five hundred piece puzzle. Before you can react, his hand is over your thigh. "Don't overwhelm yourself. I'm here to help whenever you need it." His thumb begins to caress you. "I know this is weird, but I love you and the kids even though one isn't mine."

He would remind you of this fact every night. The whole love part of your life is done and over with. The thought of entering another relationship when you have two mouths to feed is far from your mind set. Your days of romance are over.

"It's time for bed, Sweet Peas!" You clap your hands to pull them out of their trance of thinking as you pull them up onto their feet.

"But I was so close!" Erik points to the two pieces he finally figured out after about an hour at least. "Uncle Armin, make sure she doesn't put it away!"

Armin simply gives him a playful salute.

After getting your children all dressed, and cleaned up for bed. They climb in. Arlin immediately passes out the moment his head hits the pillow while Erik's shame face returns after resolving the problem back the training field.

"Do you really think, Daddy is proud of me?" he asked again while his thumbs began to fight against each other. "I can never tell if he means it, or if you just force him to believe it."

You sit beside the worried little brunet and give him a reassuring kiss on the forehead. "He may not act like it, but your father loves you very much." You give him a little ruffle on his hair. "He just isn't really good with feelings or people." Tickling your son in order to see him smile, you give him another kiss goodnight and tuck him in. "Remember that Mommy loves you the most."

Erik gives you the biggest hug you have ever gotten before. How could this be a mistake?