FIVE

Guards rained down the glass tube, pushing aside screaming girls as they wielded their weapons. Most of the girls had already hidden inside spa stalls, behind workout machines, or under meal stations, but 124 just stood there.

Why did 91 run? Had she felt the same rush of terror as 124 from the Committee member? 124 looked up to see the woman's reaction to the sudden commotion—perhaps an evil grin or a look of worry—but she was gone, along with the man and his tablet.

124 was now standing alone in the deserted lineup, looking with horror at the scene unraveling just a few feet away from her. 91, who had found no other exit but the glass tube, was slowing inching her way to the one escape, brandishing the only weapon she had found: a chair.

"Get back! I'm warning you!" She threw a metal object—probably one of the meal cups—at a guard, who leapt quickly out of the way and returned the attack with one of his own.

"BANG!"

The gunshot reverberated around the Nest, inciting a new echo of screams throughout the arena.

"DO NOT HURT HER DO NOT HURT HER!" Another guard yelled.

The black clad unit closed in on the scared girl, their shields positioned in front as to prevent another catapulting object from hitting them. When the guards close enough in range, one of the officers switched their gun for a longer and thinner barrel and shot it at 91.

"AHHHHHHH!" Her cry was more in fear than in pain, and she crumpled to the floor clutching at her knee. 91 clawed at the red projectile now peeking through a gash in her skintight uniform. But the damage was already done and she collapsed on the lawn.

Moving without pause, the guards hoisted the fallen girl, passing directly next to 124 on their way to the tube. 91's eyes were swiveling back and forth between her captors' masked faces, her body entirely frozen except for her sluggishly moving face. Her once sly, mischievous, feline eyes were popping and frozen. 124 couldn't look away.

So when 91 looked at her, and mouthed with what seemed to be all her strength—though no words came out—124 knew exactly what she said.

"Help me please....Amrite."