You Didn't Deserve This

Alex sighed as she finished making two cups of coffee in the kitchen. It had been a few hours and they still hadn't found anything conclusive concerning Rosa. She was trying to remain strong as she kept Bucky company in the med room. They had got on quite well which Alex was very happy about. She picked up the steaming cups and headed back out to rejoin the super-soldier.

That was when she caught sight of Lucy, the officer, sat by herself on the sofas. A pound of guilt washed over her. Taking a deep breath, Alex made her way over. Lucy's face paled as she caught her approaching.

"Hey," Alex said, quietly. "About what I said earlier, I was angry and it was wrong. You were just doing your job, so I'm really sorry."

"Oh," her voice was tinted with surprise. "No, you don't have to apologise. It was wrong of me to assume things. Especially when I didn't know the truth."

Alex sighed and sat down next to her. "You're right when saying that Rosa is dangerous, but the things she's done weren't her. Bucky is probably the last person she'd want to hurt but she stabbed him."

Lucy nodded at her words. "It's cruel, what this Deon Howarth has done to her. I wish we'd shut him down before that happened," she said, sadly.

Alex went to reply when Steve came running from the living space. His words sent Alex's heart into overload.

"We found her."

Both women jumped up and followed him to where the others were. They were watching security footage projected from a STARK pad. It showed a man supporting someone down a street. It was clearly Rosa, her dark hair in rags around her shoulders. She was leaning on the man heavily. Alex squinted her eyes. Who was this guy?

"This footage is from fifteen minutes ago," Hill informed, as she watched closely.

The camera switched to another, displaying them coming down a road towards a car.

"That's just by the station," Lucy observed.

"Tony, how are we coming on that audio?" Steve asked.

The billionaire across the room rolled his eyes as he tapped different buttons on a laptop. "Going as fast as I can, Capsicle."

Alex held back tears as she watched Rosa stagger. The man had to pick her up. It was clear he did it as gently as he could. Rosa clung to him tightly. She trusted him, you could see it in the way she held him. They reached the car and he helped her in, lying her down across the back seats.

"-need to stay alive for me, okay?" That was the man's voice.

Tony must have got the audio working.

"If I have to." Rosa's response was weak.

Alex pressed a hand to her mouth in worry.

"For once, just do as you're told, Shower Girl."

Shower Girl? Alex recognised that nickname. Everyone else in the room looked just as confused.

Rosa chuckled quietly at his comment. The only sound after that was the noise of the engine as they drove away. That's where the tape ended.

"We tracked the number plate for another sixteen miles, but it seemed to vanish. There was no trace of it on any road," Hill said, gravely.

"But she's alive," Alex whispered.

"What about the guy with her?" Tony furrowed his brows. "Who was he?"

"Yeah, what's with the whole 'Shower Girl' thing?" Clint added.