Mates and Pranks

Alexander took large steps down the narrow hallway.

Windows lined the walls, the dull light of the evening casting an ominous look upon Alexander's face. Which was fitting since he was very mad.

Well, he was always mad... But, more then usual.

Servants and slaves, which is which is hard to tell, scurried out of the way. He cast withering glances to a select few.

"I heard that he can't find his mate."

"I heard she ditched him."

"Why would she do that? He's got everything!"

"Maybe she got scared?"

"Ugh."

These whispers followed Alexander around the halls until he made his way to the large meeting hall. All of his advisors, friends, and a select few of his family members, were there.

He bowed to each vistor, an action that took up at least 10 minutes.

"Greetings all." He started as he rose from his last bow. A few of the younger guests already had poured some Velishma, a highly toxic drink that every species steer clear from, 'cept Galmen'pas cause they be crazy. He eyed them and sighed. "I assume we all know why we're here?"

"CAUSE YOUR DESPERATE!" A deep voice bellowed from a corner. Alexander pinched the bridge of his nose and cleared his throat.

"If we want to call it that-"  He paused to take a deep breath. "So, yes. It's true in my 25 years of life I haven't seen my mate. So, I'm setting out a reward. 5 planets to the person who finds my mate." A collective gasp came from inside and outside the room. The entire tower went quiet as Alexander's loud voice, and equally loud reward, continued to hold everyone's voice box by it's strings.

"5 planet's of their choosing." Another gasp. "All the taxes will be payed to the finder, and they will be briefed on the planet's condition. Of course, this planet is out of the question. But, any others are on the market."

When the servents went home, they told their families, who told their friends and distant relatives, who told their friends and distant relatives. Soon, the entire galaxy was buzzing with excitment.

How do you find someone's mate? You test them out.

So, for the next few weeks a long line of women and fathers or friends was a common sight outside the tower, as well as the torent of angry fathers or friends clutching sobbing womens shoulders, shouting insults.

Vicky and Nia were contantly entertained by this, since Vicky lived quite close to the tower. Nia gave up trying to get Vicky to participate in the nonsense.

"I would, but who would want to be mates with such a heartless monster." Vicky proclaimed one night, staring out at the large tower with a round cylinde base as the last of the rejected suitors trickled out.

"Someone who is very lucky, no doubt about that." Nia grinned, her goggles dangling around her neck in the rare time she actually shows her eyes. She ran a hand through her neon mohawk. "Please?"

"I'm sorry, N. I can't." Nia's eye flashed in disappointment, her grin fading. She nudged her friend.

"Don't apologise, it's your choice."

"These girls are so desperate." Nia elbowed Vicky and nodded to a particarly 'distressed' girl.

"You'd think they'd be thankful." Vicky turned as the last girl left the tower, heading back towards the dimly lit upperfloor of her home.

She sunk into the nearby armchair and motioned for Nia to pour two glasses of Velishma, a common tradition in her house. She smiled thoughtfully, craddleing the triangular pillow in her arms. The liquid in the tall hourglass bottle was a translusent pink, reflecting the small candles placed around the room.

"What are you thinking about?" Nia said suddenly, her hand taking the bottle off it's wooden stand. Vicky's eyes met hers and Nia grinned. "Oh, so you do want to go."

"What! No." Vicky bit the insides of her cheeks, lying though her pointed teeth..

Is it just me or do all main characters get an allergic reaction to truth, they're always crying when they tell it. Oh? You've noticed too? Strange.

"Uh huh. Well, I heard that he's sending out guards to search for her tommorow. He'll be joining them for the first week." Vicky inclined her head toward the window, casting a long glance to the tower.

"Really? Well, then. I guess I might just meet him." She took a large swig out of the crystal glass, wincing as the spicy liquid travelled down her throat at an extremely slow pace. Nia took her usual seat on the rounded capet, swirling the pink drink.

"Won't that be a pleasure."

Getting no reply Nia looked up from her hypnotising drink to her friend, who was sitting bolt upright grinning.

The pillow slipping from Vicky's lap brought her out of her trance. She turned her head quickly, eyes shining.

"Oh no."

"We can prank the big bad boss." She eyes crinkled up as her smile widened. In return, Nia's confused glanced turned to one of horror.

"PRANK him?! We aren't 5 years old!" She struggled to keep the drink in her grip, so she placed it next to her.

"If we were 5 years old we would be pranking our parents." Vicky stood up and started pacing, taking a glup of her drink, a wave of pain passing over her face before being replaced with excitment again. "We can get Pino, too!"

Nia opened her mouth to protest, but it was too late. Her friend's mind was already commited.

"What if, we all pretend like we don't know who he is? Then treat him like a normal buyer." Her smile glinted in the candle light. Nia almost smiled.

"Why bring Pino?"

"Cause he could act like another buyer, telling the boss to hurry up."

"No. I'll do that part, not Pino. He'd have a panic attack." Vicky grinned at her friend as she stood and met her eyes.

"So, you in?"

"I guess."