Ch.3: Destination?

It had been roughly two weeks since her departure from her home town. So much for record time she thought as she continued her seemingly endless walking. Her once giddy footsteps had become slightly less vigorous over the course of a few days. Her excitement stayed steady but her disappointment at her delayed arrival grew.

Her trudging hadn't ceased in two days, and having not stopped for rest, her body was growing too weary to continue much farther. Finally, she decided to stop when she noticed a small stream and what seemed to be a small clearing in the dense trees of the forest she'd been travelling through for the past few days.

The clearing wasn't extremely large but it was big enough to have space between the canopies of the surrounding trees, allowing for a view of the stars that she so loved. Now that's a sight for sore eyes she thought as she lay in the tall grass she had started to pat down for a makeshift bed. No sooner had her head hit the ground had she fallen asleep, her body succumbing to the welcoming embrace of much needed sleep.

Her eyes closed, someone else's eyes remained open and vigilant.

However, those eyes were far away, simply glancing through a mirror. Miles away actually. Though they watched as the girl lay down to rest, they weren't truly there.

The air mere yards away from where (Y/n) lay had become distorted. Had she been awake, she may have noticed the rippling of the air, similar to that of water when one simply touches the surface. She would have seen the slight glow of the two golden orbs peering through. Maybe then he would have stepped through to acknowledge her, rather than just a quick peek through the device and taking note of her presence. But she wasn't, so she didn't, and neither did he.

The man simply glanced without much though at what was before him before simply moving to look elsewhere.

The air stilled and all else in the night mimicked the tranquility.

The Next Morning

(Y/n) awoke with a start. Snapping twigs. Fast approaching noise. Growls, squeals, and grunts.

She sat up and readied herself for some unwelcomed company. Quickly scanning her surroundings for both the perpetrator and something to use as a weapon, she found nothing but a small twig. Upon realizing that was all she had, she hoped that whatever it was, it would end her quickly. Nevertheless, she still held the twig in front of her with both hands. She was ready for this fight, completely under-equipped, but ready.

She was sorely mistaken.

Relief.

That was what she received instead of a fight.

Her ten seconds of impending doom and readiness for death were now something to laugh at. The enemy she thought she'd be facing was nothing but a mother fox and her kits. The squeals, grunts, and sounds akin to those she'd panicked over, coming from the tiny animals play fighting. Her tense muscles relaxed and she let her body fall back onto her grass pallet. She smiled as she peered back over at the now welcomed guests that had awoken her. The playfulness and excitement of the small, adorable animals becoming contagious.

It was early but not so early as to make her feel sleep was once again required. Especially not after being woken in the manner she had been.
There was enough light for her to travel by after all, some of it seeping through the trees, filtering through the beautiful green leaves above.

Today's the day. It has to be. I feel it. She rose from her resting place feeling invigorated. The much needed sleep refreshed her body as well as her willpower. Her rediscovered, re- amplified determination seeding it's way through her muscles, causing them to move with the same pace as she had begun her journey with. Her swift legs carried her a few miles before she decided to stop at the stream once again. She was so focused on getting a drink and a quick splash on her face that it took her a few moments to notice something was off.