Chapter Fifteen

I know that I'm back in the mortal realm when I hear a chorus of gasps.

Do I dare open my eyes? I don't want to know what they see. I don't want to know what else has changed in my already foreign life. I already don't recognize myself in the mirror, let alone know what to do with these powers I've been given. But I have to open my eyes. It's only when the gasps have died out and I'm plunged in silence that I do.

I skim my eyes around the circle and, sure enough, every single pair of eyes is glued to me. The eyes of the demigods around me are wide and filled with awe, like I've just accomplished some great feat. My heart thuds loudly, echoing in my ears. I'm afraid to look down. Is something wrong with me? Have I mutated? Have I grown a second head? Nevertheless, I take a deep breath and look down at my reflection in the water.

I blink once, twice, a third time. 

Oh, my. That couldn't possibly be me.

My skin emits an unearthly glow, giving me an divine aura. My already bright blue eyes shine like the stars in the sky, illuminating my features even more. Made from darkness itself, my hair swirls around me, despite the absence of wind. My other features are even more pronounced. My lips are fuller. My breasts are larger. My eyelashes are longer, darker. My teeth are whiter. I look just like the strange reflection in the mirror I'd glimpsed at earlier.

It's like my first change all over again, except, this time, I'm not changing from human to demigod. I'm changing from demigod to goddess.

Every face around me registers shock and awe. Desperately, I look around for a familiar face in this sea of strangers. My eyes land on Declan and Theo across the circle from me. Much to my surprise -and relief- , neither of them are shocked by my sudden change in appearance. In fact, they look quite smug. Did they know about this? About me?

Silence rings out in the clearing, screaming out all of my insecurities. Then the unthinkable happens.

One of the demigods gets down onto his knees and bows down to me. One by one, every demigod in the clearing follows his lead until every single demigod around is bowing down to me in worship. Declan and Theo follow suit, both sending winks at me in the process.

Feeling overwhelmed, I take a stumbling step backwards, then another. My eyes are wide with fear. I'm not ready for this! Sending one last look at Theo, I dart away from the clearing and the demigods within it. I race into the woods, sobs wracking my body. With tears stinging my eyes, I fight the branches that scrape my skin.

I don't know how long I run. I just go until my legs give out on me. Eventually, I collapse onto the forest floor, crushed by the weight of this overwhelming night. I look up to the night sky, letting the light of the full moon reflect off the tears dripping down my cheeks. The heavy weight in my chest doesn't lift. Not even the magic of the moon can help me now.

Crescendo soon joins me, having run after me when I fled the circle. With sad eyes, she whines and nudges me with her muzzle. I pat her head unenthusiastically, too lost in my own mental chaos to pay full attention to her. She whimpers once more and curls her warm, furry body around me, trying to shield me from the chilly night air.

A rustling in the trees alarms me.

"Who's there?" I ask warningly, holding up a hand, prepared to rip out whomever's soul I have to.

"It's just me, Laila," says a deep, alluring voice.

"Just me" turns out to be Declan, who emerges from the treeline looking darkly sexy in the light of the full moon. He approaches me casually, as if nothing has changed, and, for this, I am grateful. Declan kneels down before me, dark green eyes boring into mine with his usual intensity, but paired with the softness I'd seen the night he'd told be about Thanatos and her Warrior.