Chapter Eighteen

The next week passes by smoothly. I've kept my promise to myself and I haven't spoken Declan since the day I made it. I purposefully avoided going places I knew he'd be and, when we had classes together, I'd quickly find a different partner. I could see his obvious frustration at my avoidance, but I ignore it. As long as I stay away, everything will be fine.

As a result of this, Theo and I have gotten closer. We've spent nearly every second together this whole week. Upon my asking, he even spent a few nights at my dorm while Amora was at Egan's. It was nice. We talked and kissed for hours until we fell asleep in each other's arms. I'd often still have problems sleeping at night. The night's call proves to be too strong, so I just lay awake, comforted by Theo's warm arms around me. 

After spending so much time with Theo, and seeing how absolutely wonderful he is, I can't seem to figure out why I'd been so enthralled by Declan. I mean, sure, he's sexy as sin but he's not Theo. This week without seeing him has been great for me, but now comes the ultimate test.

Tomorrow night is the Academy's Halloween masquerade ball and, unfortunately, Theo will not be attending. The other day, he told me that he had to go home for "family reasons", a sick relative, I believe. I'd originally planned on skipping it all together, instead spending the night in with a few movies and my wolf. Amora convinced me to go to the ball anyway and so, therein lies the problem. All of my friends are mutual friends with Declan, so we're bound to see each other.

What if I go right back to being captivated by him? What if something bad happens and Theo dumps me? These thoughts and more have been buzzing around my mind all day. I'm pulled from them, though, when I hear my name being called.

"Huh?" I ask, staring dumbfounded at Amora, who taps her foot impatiently.

"I said that we should go before all of the shops close," she repeats for me, a little annoyed that I wasn't paying attention to her.

I grimace, pulling on a jacket and a pair of flats. I'd promised that I'd let Amora take me dress shopping for the masquerade ball today and she's dead set on making me keep that promise. I almost make up some excuse about not feeling well to get out of going to the stupid dance all together, but decide not to. I'm going to have to deal with Declan sooner or later. I might as well do it when my friends are around me to keep me from doing something I'll regret.

"I'm coming. I'm coming," I mutter, patting Crescendo on the head one last time before following Amora out of the room.

We go out of the Academy's protective barriers and out into the human world. After being around demigods for so long, the human world seems strange. I'd grown accustomed to seeing the demigods showing off their powers in the courtyard and practicing their new fighting skills in the halls. That would probably seriously freak some people out here.

Once again, I feel a twinge of nostalgia for my old life. Mom, dad and sweet little Dawn didn't deserve to be left like that, but it needed to be done. If I would have stayed, I probably would have hurt somebody or I might have gone insane trying to rationalize all the mysterious things happening to me.

I'm pulled from these morbid thoughts when we arrive at Amora's favorite dress shop. With an excited squeal, she pulls me inside. My vision is immediately filled with bright, poofy fabric and mounds of glitter. The amount of dresses in this place both astounds and overwhelms me. How am I supposed to find a dress in all this?

Obviously not as overwhelmed as I am, Amora goes right in and starts digging through the racks. She pulls dresses left and right and throws them at me, muttering about colors and styles under her breath. I follow after her like a loyal puppy, blinded by the glitter and fabric that's shoved in my face. Even when I think that she couldn't possibly fit another dress in my arms, she throws another one on the pile and I have to spit the fabric out of my mouth. Yuck.

We walk through the overly stocked shop for what feels like hours, picking up dress after dress. Amora remains cheery all the while, immune to my muttered curses. Just when I think I'm about to collapse, Amora all but shoves me into a dressing room, making me promise to come out and show her every dress. I stumble over my own feet, nearly getting hit by the door as she swings it shut.

The first dress I try on is navy blue with a strapless, fitted bodice and a ruffled, poofy skirt. The whole dress is beads galore. It itches like crazy. When I show it to her, Amora shakes her head and shoves me back into the dressing room, obviously not as impressed with it as she had been when she'd picked it up off the rack. I gladly take it off and stuff it back into the garment bag, moving onto the next dress.

I try on dress after dress, finally finding two dresses that Amora and I both adore; one for the Halloween masquerade ball and one for Amora's birthday bash that's soon approaching. I complain when she insists that I wear a dress for her party, wondering why I can't just wear a pair of jeans and a comfy top, but Amora isn't having any of it. Everyone else is going to dress up, so I have to as well, she tells me smugly. I surrender the fight when I realize that my arguing is only prolonging our time in the store - time I'd wanted to be spending with my boyfriend. The demigoddess begins her search for the perfect dresses when I admit defeat and I nearly collapse in relief when Amora finds them right away. I start towards the register, visions of my boyfriend in my head, but, of course, Amora has to rain on my parade.

"Now to find masks," she says with a clap of her hands.

I groan, slumping to the ground.

Later, after we've had dinner and purchased our dresses, we head back to the Academy so that I can say goodbye to Theo before he leaves. In the parking lot, I spot Theo and Egan leaning against Theo's car, chatting. After parking the car, Amora and I join them. Saying their goodbyes, Amora and Egan leave, taking our dresses with them. Egan boldly reaches out and captures Amora's hand in his own as they walk away. Amora's eyes widen and she grins broadly, clutching his hand exuberantly. I smile at the happy couple as they disappear into the woods.

All alone, Theo turns to me with a sad smile. "I'm sorry I'm gonna miss the ball, babe," Theo says regretfully. He clutches my hands tightly in his warm ones like he never wants to let go. Not that I'd complain.

I smile softly, squeezing his hands reassuringly. "It's okay. We can still go to Amora's birthday party together. There's bound to be dancing there," I tell him lightly, remembering how Amora had stressed over the playlist for her party all last week.

"Even so, I'd hate to miss out on the chance to dance with my girlfriend," he says and then steps back and, with a flourish, holds out his hand. "May I have this dance?"

I giggle at his cheesiness, but, nonetheless, I slip my cool hand into his warm one. Theo pulls me to him, hands at my waist. I wrap my arms around his neck and rest my head on his chest, enjoying his heat. We sway from side to side to the beat of our own song. Theo hums softly in my ear, nuzzling my neck.

"Do you really have to go?" I ask sadly, knowing that I'm going to miss him like crazy.

He chuckles softly. "Yes, Laila, I do."

I sigh, holding onto my boyfriend tighter. Theo kisses the top of my head lovingly. He's reluctant to let me go, but he does.

"I love you," Theo murmurs ever so softly, taking my hands in his once again.

My heart swells in my chest and I almost ask him to repeat himself. Did he really just say he loves me? My eyes swim with happy tears. I have to blink them back, embarrassed.

"I love you, too, Theo," I whisper wholeheartedly, flushing when my voice cracks. My lips tremble and each breath shudders past my lips. How did I spend all those years as a goddess without him? It must have been a sad existence. I'm glad I don't remember it.

With his thumb, Theo brushes my blushing cheek gently. His eyes gleam like he'd been waiting for me to say those words to him for a lifetime, though we've only known each other for a short while. Leaning down, he places his lips onto mine. Even though the kiss is soft and sweet, it's hot. Theo's lips are like fire on mine, burning me right to the core. When he pulls away my face is flushed from the heat and my eyes are wide with excitement.

Theo rests his forehead against mine and whispers, "goodbye, Laila."

Pulling away, he presses a kiss to my forehead before turning from me. With a slight smile, he gets into his car and starts the engine. As he drives away, I blow him a kiss, wishing he didn't have to leave.

"Goodbye, Theo."