Crossfire

Kara jogged out from her room, surprised to see Alex and Maggie on the far ends of the couch, the former crossing her arms in bitterness and the latter with a smug grin plastered on her face.

"Did you lose another bet, Alex?" Kara asked, giggling.

The agent fumed, exhaling through her nose.

Maggie laughed heartily, "Got fifty bucks from her this time."

The blonde chuckled, "Alex, bet less, or better yet, stop betting with Maggie."

"Not a chance," she grumbled.

"Awww, c'mon, babe, don't be like that," the detective pouted, pecking her girlfriend on the cheek.

"Like what?" she growled back.

"Like..." she paused, snickering, "A sore loser!"

Alex raised a pillow at Maggie and chased her around.

The younger Danvers rolled her eyes, "Okay, you guys have fun, I'm going to interview Lena! Remember to lock the door!"

"'Interview', sure. You kids have fun too!" Maggie shouted back, muffled from the pillow shoved in her face.

Kara stopped her fist midway from knocking on the large mahogany double doors that led to the C.E.O.'s office, flushing with nervousness.

What if she's busy? What if she doesn't want to see me?

The blonde began to pace back and forth in front of the doors, arguing with her conscience on whether or not she should enter and possibly barge in and interrupt the Luthor in the middle of something.

But Jess said she wasn't busy.

But what if she got busy on my way up here?

She squeaked, nearly jumping through the roof when the doors opened on the other side.

"Kara, you can come in you know, you've been pacing out there for five minutes," Lena stated, looking at her curiously.

"Oh, uh, how'd you know-"

"I could hear someone in my thought bubble, and you shuffle quite a bit."

This time, Kara flushed from embarrassment.

Lena nodded into her office, smirking, "Come in, I'm not busy, regardless of what your inner turmoil might be telling you."

The blonde followed the woman stopped a few feet away, still standing, when the Luthor retrieved a cup of bourbon and rested on her chair.

"Before we get started..."

Kara perked her head up from her notepad, "Hmmm?"

Lena smiled nervously, "I..."

The blonde's eyebrows furrowed in concern, "Is something wrong?"

"No - well, yes, I..."

The Luthor trailed off again, but her bottom lip and worried it between her teeth.

She sighed, "I'm holding a private gala fundraiser for the children's hospital, the one that was attacked by those goons you fought not too long ago."

Kara's grip on her notepad tightened, eyes knit in a mix of frustration and worry, "You're endangering yourself again."

"If that's how you want to put it," the C.E.O. chuckled uneasily, "That's why Kara Danvers and Supergirl are invited, the former for me to avoid snobby aristocrats, the latter for formal protection."

The blonde opened and closed her mouth intermittently, unable to formulate a response she was satisfied with.

She finally relented, her tone defeated, "When is it?"