Chapter 2

"You know," Wynona mumbled, her mouth full of spaghetti. "This is probably the most casual date I've ever been on."

"You asked me out," I replied, putting my burger down. "If I took you out, I'd be pulling out all the stops."

"Is that so? Well, then, next time you take me out," she quipped, licking tomato sauce off her lips. She dropped her fork into her bowl, reaching across the table to snatch one of my fries. I didn't react, still caught on her words.

I coughed, choking out a meek "next time?"

It was Wynona's turn to blush, staring down at her plate. "If you want?"

I spluttered, coughing slightly. Wynona gave me a worried look. "Have you never been on a second date before?"

"Shut up, I'm dying," I replied, staring anywhere but her face. I shoved a french fry in my mouth to give me something to do, and a reason to shut up.

"You've never been on a second date. Oh my god," she muttered, grinning. "You really are a sweet innocent bean."

"I've been on second dates! Well. I was on a second date. Once. It's just. That was unexpected," I replied, stuttering and sputtering. I frowned, glaring down at my plate.

"You're adorable when you're all pouty," Wynona teased.

"You're the worst," I hissed, glaring at her. I was still pouting, unfortunately. I supposed my dignity didn't really stand much of a chance against Wynona anyway.

"So? Second date, yes or no?"

How was she so confident?

"Sure, yeah, ok. My turn, then?" I asked, a little frazzled, still as red as the rose she'd gifted me.

"Yup."

"Right."

We sat in an awkward silence, picking at our food. I finished my burger before she finished her pasta and spent a few minutes picking apart my fries, slowly reducing them into a pile of greasy mashed potato flakes.

"That's gross," Wynona muttered, shaking her head. "Your poor fries."

I stuck my tongue out at her. "What I do to my fries is none of your business."

She rolled her eyes, raising her hand to flag the waitress down. She rushed over quickly, bill in hand. Wynona made a face at the price, pulling out her wallet.

"You sure you don't wanna split the bill?" I asked, craning my neck to try and glimpse the price.

"It's fine," she sighed, stuffing a few bills into the sleek leather sleeve. "I said I'd buy you lunch. I'm buying you lunch."

I'd purposely picked one of the cheaper items to save her wallet a little. Maybe it was the tea she ordered? Or just the general fact that everything in this restaurant was really expensive. That was probably it.

"Uh. Yeah. But I could still chip-"

She shot me a glare. I clammed up.

"Right, yeah, ok, forget I asked."

The waitress took the sleeve, trotting off happily. Yet another couple of dumb foreigners ripped off. She looked pleased with herself. She took her time counting our change, which gave me the opportunity to start a conversation again.

You know, if I was socially competent.

"So," Wynona started. I silently thanked whatever deity I didn't believe in that she was good at communication. "What got you into music?"