Part 5 - The Portal

xx-xx

There were others at the portal. A young couple met them there, saying they'd been here since yesterday, guiding people with a Helmet to the location when they were within the reception area. Many had travelled constantly for the past three days from all over the country. So far, two groups of about a dozen people had made it through, and a few other smaller huddles. The couple explained to them that the last portal they'd heard about stayed open for four days before closing. They would be the last to go through, right before midnight tonight, when the portal would shut. The portal was a circle on the ground, looking close to a hole. From what she remembered people telling her, it glowed a soft blue, the same colour as the dots of a charged System. The first group from the Shelter had made it through, and the second, which Karma was in along with all her family, was making it through. Oberon was chatting with the couple, acting as a guard and leader for the arriving people. Everything was going well, and Karma could hardly believe it. She almost felt sorry to leave this broken-down place, filled with vivid memories, a city whose nooks and crannies she'd spent the last years memorizing.

Unfortunately, they'd forgotten about the shadows that followed them constantly since the outbreak.

At the sight of the X's, there was panic. People pushed each other aside, desperate to reach the portal in time. The couple waiting for the others also jumped in at the sign of danger, clapping Oberon on the shoulder one last time. Dalton who'd stayed with Karma, overlooking the groups arriving, convinced his twin to jump in, promising to follow her right after. Karma was surprised, but infinitely glad, when he walked back to her side, helping others in instead of saving himself.

"Hurry up!" Oberon bellowed and Karma had never heard anything so loud. The last group from the Shelter were being followed by the creatures, up along the road. "Run! Run!"

Karma could see the fear painted on everyone's faces, especially Oberon's. He'd lived through this before. Seen the portal close right before his eyes when the X's came. So when it was Karma's turn to jump into the portal after all her friends, she breathed in and out and made a decision, her heart suddenly light.

"See you on the other side, Oberon," and she pushed him.

Not expecting it, he lost his balance, falling into the portal. She didn't see his face, but Karma hoped he'd forgive her when she saw him again. She turned around, nodded at Dalton, who signed at her that he was going to help the other Shelter group. Karma ran with him along the road, trying to get their attention. Karma saw other people with them and she sighed in relief. The other group could help get them to the portal! She was glad that the strangers had made it in time before the portal closed. She couldn't imagine travelling for days only for the portal to shut in your face.

Except when she came closer, she noticed something was wrong. Why were the strangers pulling the people from her Shelter towards the X's?

She looked at one of them straight in the eyes, and saw colour again, right under his left eye. The dots were bright blue. His maniac grin, the deranged glint in his eyes, his hysterical laughter.

Karma was suddenly reminded of Jeanine.

"It's all useless! It doesn't matter if we make it to the portal!" the guy punched another person in the face. His arm was bleeding in multiple places, completely mangled, though he didn't seem bothered by it. "We're all dead anyway. Better choose the merciful way now. You'll thank me!"

Karma felt herself shake, and she doubled her speed. She punched the asshole right in the face, encouraging people from the Shelter to keep going. She wrenched them out of the grip of the crazy people. There were at least five of the insane left, the others probably already eaten by the X's which explained why the creatures weren't attacking people from the Shelter. They were probably busy finishing their meal. Karma kept ushering people to the portal before it closed. She saw an X straighten up a few meters away. He was ready to catch another prey and his metallic friends would be too, in a few seconds.