Part 1 - The Rendezvous

xx-xx

"I can't believe you would say that!"

Spencer and Carrie were once again at each other's throats, arguing about something silly. Karma couldn't even remember what. She'd been looking out for X's, but so far they were in the woods, and usually, X's stayed near electronics and cities, finding comfort in familiarity.

"But look, your thumb is in the wrong place."

Karma's instincts screamed that they were being too loud, but she forced herself to calm down and focus on first finding the danger, then panic. And so far there was nothing.

"I'm holding my gun properly, look at you, it's not even leaning on your shoulder."

This was getting on Karma's nerves. They weren't even looking out for the team, instead too focused on this stupid argument. This wasn't the time nor place. She couldn't believe them.

She decided to tune them out despite the risks of doing so, shutting off their connection with one quick button on her Helmet, and walked a bit further, ducking behind a tree. She slowed her breathing, listening out for the tell-tale signs of creaking and clicking.

Silence. She left a relieved smile take over her face. She straightened herself, getting ready to move again when-

Click.

Karma fumbled carelessly with the button on her Helmet, slamming desperately against it. Why had she turned it off? Dammit!

She started talking as soon as she heard the familiar beep announcing her return.

"Shut up!" She cut their talking off. She was panicking, her breath coming out short. By then, that should have been enough to alert the other's that something wasn't right. She started walking as quietly and as fast as she could away from the rogue X, keeping it in her sights. It hadn't seen them yet, but it had heard them and was coming their way. She didn't want to know if it had any friends.

"There's an X."

Her furious whispering was too loud, but they had to hurry, otherwise, they would soon not be able to talk at all.

Here's the funny thing when you're facing death, you'll never be ready. There's no life flashing before your eyes, or a moment where you find peace. No. There's just panic, adrenaline and fear. Your hands shake, your eyes will fill with tears, and you'll be so scared that that fear might as well have killed you. You'll feel hopeless, useless, and you'll know that everything you've done was for nothing, because you wouldn't be around to see it.

Karma ran to meet up with the rest of them, and they starting sprinting in the opposite direction of the X, trying to make no noise and stay silent but the crackling of leaves and branches under their feet could not be avoided. It only made it easier to hear their pursuer which was currently following them hotly at their heels, it's body groaning and squealing with every step, it's moaning sending an alarm to other X's that there was food. Karma was frantically searching for cover, anything to defend themselves. She knew that the guns they were holding wouldn't do too much good. There was no way she'd be able to aim at the X's weak points when she couldn't stop herself from shaking like a leaf. Her muscles were screaming against the strain, and she could feel her heart lodged in her throat.

Suddenly, she saw buildings. They were battered and half-ruined, and she almost cried at the view. It was a Ghost town, not the town they were aiming for, but a neighbouring one apparently. It hadn't been on the map they'd taken, but Karma was glad that it existed. It should provide enough protection and hiding places. It would have to. There was a chance the X's friends could meet them there, a not so pleasant surprise, but there was also a fifty per cent chance that they could escape in the small cracks and shelters between the buildings and evade their nightmare.