Chapter Seven.

Itsuki can still learn things about his childhood friend apparently, because just today he finds out that Mitarashi Anko is a terrible dog walker.

First day out of bed and Itsuki has walked into three nurses, thirty benches, five vending machines, sixteen doors, and twenty one walls.

"Anko, stop laughing already and lead me properly!"

The girl is too busy doubling over with laughter, hand clenched on the boy's but apparently the boy was leading the way, not her.

"It's much funnier to watch."

"That's not the point, Anko, I-- GYAAAAHHh!!!"

One second he was cranky and snappy, and the next second he all but shrieks when a hand he doesn't think is Anko's touches his shoulder. He claws his way to Anko, arms wrapping around the girl (her neck? Shoulders? Her general direction) and clinging desperately.

"What," he's freaking out now, "what was that--"

Anko laughs, arms folded and unable to wrap around the boy's back, but her hands manage a few assuring pats.

"There, there," she soothes unhelpfully, "that was just Obito."

Obito? He's confused. "Obito?" He remembers.

That Obito? Mister apparently he's the mastermind? holy crap someone get Kakashi some fucking oxygen before I leave my post and do it myself--

The one in the crazy mask he's been told to spy on a few times and every time the man sees Itsuki and does nothing because the masked man knows Itsuki holds no candle to him so Itsuki ends up going home and crying himself the fuck through nightmares before he reports to the Hokage the next morning?

He's clinging tighter before he realizes, and then he hears it.

"Look what you've done, Obito," it's a child's voice, but intoned in a mature fashion-- a little gruff, and maybe muffled through a mask. Sounds like Kakashi when he was still a little shit. Ah, right, he's a little shit now, isn't he?

"Rin told us not to sneak up on him. And what do you do? You sneak up on him."

"It wasn't on purpose!" the response comes high and whiny.

Stretching his chakra still takes too much effort, but in this close proximity, Itsuki finds himself feeling the chakra come to him instead.

Sparkly and periodically suppressing in control, that's definitely Kakashi. It's a little more controlled than he's used to feeling it-- but then again, Itsuki hasn't actually felt him like this without visual confirmation. It's weird. And something in him bubbles insecurely.

Fluttering wildly and bursting without a care in the world-- Itsuki hisses, because that's not the Obito in the insane mask and the alias of Madara. That's Obito without the dark feelings, purely, wholly Obito so brightly nostalgic it's almost foreign to him.

"Don't want Obito," he mutters into Anko's neck, burying his eyes into her shoulder.

He's done walking today. He wants to sleep and go home and, fuck, can he wake up already? Hello Afterlife god? Thanks for this dumb time travel reincarnation bullshit, I think I'm done. Can I have eternal darkness back now?