Veronica's Secret

While Veronica started her walk down the trail a sick Kevin awoke from his sleep. Trying not to wake everyone, he got up and headed toward the river to cough his lungs out.

The food Betty brought definitely helped, but he was dehydrated and needed water very badly. He considered going down to the Pop's place Betty and Jughead had told them about.

Once he made it to the river he stopped dead in his tracks as there was already someone by the river.

The girl sitting by the river's edge didn't seem to notice Kevin's presence so he tuned around to walk back to the 'shelter'. He stopped again, thinking that he was gonna have another coughing fit and wake up the others. He didn't need to make Cheryl even more mad.

He went to make his way to another part of the river, but his body went against him and decided he need to let out a cough.

That cough turned into multiple coughs and by the end he was gripping a tree tightly as if his life depended on it. He knew he messed up. He always messed up.

The girl was only a couple feet away from him by now, and she was asking if he was okay, but kept her distance.

"Sorry 'bout that." Kevin looked at the woman who wasn't actually an adult.
She looked about the same age as him with dark raven hair and long eyelashes. He looked at her and could tell she was rich just by the way she was dressed. She was basically wearing a black dress, but it was made for the everyday life and not special events. She also had a pearl necklace that Kevin was sure cost a lot of money. Who else wears a dress in the woods now a days and isn't rich?

She had black heals and Kevin wondered why the hell someone would where heals in the woods.

"Do you need to go to the hospital or something? I can get you there if you need-" Veronica was cut off as 4 more teens popped out of the woods.

"Kevin, what the hell?" Obviously Kevin failed at not making Cheryl more angry. He could feel a hand on his shoulder and turned to see Jughead next to him. Jughead was eyeing the girl.

"Where-why," Veronica cut herself off as she was baffled from the teens just popping out of the woods.

She quickly composed herself and asked some simple questions.

"Okay, how about we start off by telling each other our names. I'm Veronica." She figured that she could try to see how they react with a simple question and hoped they weren't apart of some gang that didn't want her around here? She figured that if they answered they might be friendlies and not foes. One by one they told her their names. Though, Veronica was still on edge.

"Now why the hell are you in the woods at this hour?" She didn't mean for it to come out so demanding, and Kevin and Jughead flinched a bit at her tone.

"We could ask you the same thing?" Cheryl said, stepping in front of the others so she was eye to eye with Veronica.

"Parents." Was all Veronica had to say for the others to understand. At least she thought that was all she needed to say. Apparently they didn't understand. They looked at her as if they really didn't know what she meant.

"They're fighting. What, do your guy's parents not fight?" None of the teens spoke so Veronica pushed farther. "What?" That time she meant to sound demanding.

"Not everyone in this town has parents." Cheryl said while looking towards the ground.

Veronica was even more confused.
"What!?" She felt like they were playing a joke on her. Why the hell wouldn't they have parents? Oh...

"You guys are orphans!" She exclaimed. They only nodded in response. Most of them looking down.

"Why and how did you get out here. Shouldn't you be in the orphanage place or something?" Okay maybe Veronica was a little slow, but they explained what happened anyways.