Ghostbird

Dr Roberts POV

I sat in shock listening to John Buble, as he told me about the teenage girl in his psychology class.

"Phil I can't believe that a 15 year old girl can keep up with this class, actually scrap that, she isn't just keeping up, she's actually excelling at it. She's a genius. She's better than Sean. But there's something not right Phil. She jumps every time someone talks to her. She never looks anyone in the eye. Her clothes, while clean, are obviously worn. She never takes part in any extra curricular activities. Even though its really hot she always wears long sleeves and opaque tights. Her messenger bag looks as if it came from goodwill" John says.

I take note of what he is saying and wonder how she passed her high school diploma at 14.

"John, when she applied what were her transcripts like" I ask

"Well, it looks like she taught herself. Her transcripts were printed at a local library and when I did a cursory background check it showed nothing. No doctors appointments, no schooling, nobody claimed her on their insurance. The address on her file doesn't list her as an occupant. I think she's a ghost Phil" John says.

I gasp out loud, we haven't had a ghost in decades.

"Are you sure John, ghosts are so rare now" I say.

"Yes, I'm 99% sure, I also think that she is being abused hence the long sleeves and all. Last week I asked Corey Henshaw to do a more in depth background check on her, he should be arriving soon to tell us his findings" John says.

I was lost in my thoughts when I heard a small knock on the door. I get up from my hand made walnut desk and cross the room to open my door.

As I thought it was Corey Henshaw. I ushered him in and told him to take a seat.

"Good afternoon Phil, and Mr Buble. I have the report you requested Sir, but I have to warn you it isn't pretty." Corey said.

I nod at him to continue and he looks at John and then me.

"Sang Sorenson, 15 years old, originally from Geneva, Illinois. Her father is John Sorensen, a small bit criminal working with the Chicago Mafia. Mostly human trafficking and drug smuggling. Although it looks as if he's upped his game recently, now involved in the JH14 production and he may be the person we are looking for in conjunction with supplying Ashley Waters with the drug. Helen Sorensen, John's wife, but not Sang's mother. She is the main culprit in Sang's abuse. Until a few years ago she also worked with the Mafia, selling teenage girls into prostitution. I followed Sang home one evening after your class. She started preparing dinner, but because it wasn't on the table at 6pm on the dot her step mother ripped her top off her and cut the word lazy into her back with what looked like a dull knife and made her drink something that made Sang sick and told her to go upstairs and that she would not be allowed to eat. Sang came down an hour later to clean up the kitchen. She had bandaged her back and was wearing a top that was obviously much to big for her. Her sister, Marie Sorensen is not much better than her mother, purposely making a mess to get Sang in trouble. Sang is a ghost her birth certificate is a forgery of Marie's and there is nothing on her, not even school records."

As Corey finished I saw silent tears running down his face.

"Just one more thing Mr Buble, I'm not quite sure how to tell you this, but I managed to get a sample of DNA for Sang and when I ran it, to see if I  could find out who her mother is, it came back as a partial match for you sir. It turns out her mother is your sister who died. The dates fit, Sang was born 4 days before Marcia died." Corey said.

I saw John bury his face in his hands and begin sobbing.

"Corey thank you, you actually found her. I've been looking for her for almost 16 years and you found her. I have an amazingly brilliant and beautiful niece. Thank you so much. If it's okay with you Phil, I'm going to collect my niece  and take her home with me. She'll never have to suffer again." John says.

I nod my head at him and say "i have no problem with that John"

John get up from his chair with a look of determination on his face, he shakes my hand, before doing the same with Corey, adding another thank you to him, before striding out of the room.

I look towards Corey, who has a massive grin on his face.

"We're going to save her aren't we. The look on her face as her step mother carved up her back was heartbreaking. I thought me and Brandon had it bad, but nothing compares to what she has been through." Corey said.

This must be really hard for him after what he and his brother went through.

I clap a hand on his shoulder and say "You did a good thing today Corey, John has been troubled by this for a long time. Especially since he didn't know how to find her."

I wonder how the step mother will react and hope she doesn't attack John.