Chapter 8

After the art show, things at Meadview seemed to go really well for Keith. He began to interact more in class, only in those he shared with his friends, but it was better than nothing. Keith had gone through another month's worth of time at the school, making it late October now. Since late August, Keith has attended this new school, and so far, it was proving to be far nicer than his private school, Pierce Academy. This was caused mainly by the fact that here, at Meadview, Keith has friends. Real friends who he feels comfortable hanging out with. He still never asks to spend time with them, nor make an effort to make plans, but he has friends nonetheless and enjoys their company greatly, even though he is still hesitant about admitting it.

Lunch was always a good and calming experience for Keith. He had the pleasure of forty five minutes of relaxation which came with no stress. Plus, he got to spend those forty five minutes with Pidge, Hunk and Lance. Apart from going home, Keith's lunch period was his favorite part of his day.

As it was a Friday, the four friends were gathered for Game Night. This week, Hunk hosted the get together, providing his friends with homemade—and self made— dinner.

Keith liked when they went to Hunk's house the most simply because of the food. Pidge's house was nice, and in a close second on Keith's list of 'favorite friends' houses to visit', but dinner was always the best at Hunk's place. Lance's house, however, was a different story. There were often too many people there whom Keith didn't know, nor tried to get to know. Lance's mother also didn't seem too keen on him. She was kind, but Keith believed that she didn't think he really fit in with their group of friends. It was, overall, a weird place to be. Too many people, and too many worries.

The four had moved from the dining area on the first floor up to Hunk's room on the second floor. It was a tidy, and comfortable, yet small space. Hunk's home also came with cushions for them to sit on since his floors were hardwood and not carpet.

"Hunk, as always, your culinary skills have failed to disappoint me. Dinner was absolutely superb." Pidge said, pretending to be a posh and pius food critic.

"Why thank you, good sir." Hunk replied in a terribly bogus British accent.

The two of them broke out into a fit of laughter, leaving both Keith and Lance confused and omitted from their joke. A joke which Keith thought was rather lame and somewhat overused. He had heard it many times before, but he supposed that is what friends do, tell the same joke far too many times and still laugh about it even if it isn't funny.

After some time, the two calmed down, opening up the conversation to the whole group again. Keith didn't feel like being the first to say something, he never did, so he left it to the other three to make conversation.

It was quiet for a moment until Pidge spoke.

"Oh, right! Thank you, Lance." They probably simultaneously said and signed that, as it was directed to Lance. "I almost forgot."

Keith, interested in what information the two had exchanged, vocalized his question. "Almost forgot what?"

"This is for you." Pidge said quickly as they placed a box in Keith's lap.

"What is it...?" Keith asked, picking up the object he had been given. It was small enough to fit in his hand, but large enough to need a whole box. "And, is it wrapped?"

"Yeah...?" Pidge answered hesitantly. "Why wouldn't it be?"

"I don't know... But... What is it?"

"It's a present." Hunk explained. "For your birthday."

Keith's heart skipped a beat when he heard those words. "A present?"