Chapter 38

As always during lunch, Lance found his friends, sat with them and immediately started a conversation. This time, the conversation was a but more personal.

   Lance had a crush.

   This little 'nobody' ninth grader had a crush on a popular girl.

    He had to tell someone before he went and asked her to the freshman dance. And of course, he chose to tell his friends.

   'So, what do you want to tell us?' Katie asked, eager to know the answer to her question.

   'I want to ask someone to the dance.' He told the two of them, a big smile on his face.

   'Seriously? Lance that's awesome!' Hunk signed back, almost as excited as Lance.

   'Who?' Katie asked immediately.

   To this question, Lance was a bit hesitant. His smile faded for a moment, but he sucked it up and forced himself to stay happy. 'I want to ask Amanda to the dance.'

   'Amanda Huchtens?' Katie asked. 'Mandy? The most popular freshman at out school?'

   Lance nodded quickly. 'Yes. I want to go to the dance with her.'

   'Well, shit, Lance. I hope you can dance because she certainly won't take you if you can't.'

   'I can dance, Katie!' Lance argued. 'Just because I can't hear anything doesn't mean I can't dance!'

   'That's not what I meant. All I meant was that you better be a good dancer because she's so judgmental.'

   'No she's not.' Lance signed.

   'She totally is.' Katie argued back. 'You're lucky that you don't hear the shit she says to people. She's a rich white girl who plays lacrosse. She's a bitch.'

   'Well I like her, so you can stop talking.'

   Hunk shrugged, telling Katie, 'he has a point. He does like her.'

    Katie rolled her eyes, sighing as she gave up winning the argument. 'Fine. But how are you going to ask her out?'

   'I made a sign.' Lance answered, his eyes gazing to his backpack.

   'You have it with you already?!' Hunk asked in shock.

   Lance only nodded.

   'Are you going to ask her today?' Katie asked.

   Again, he nodded. 'During lunch.'

   'It's lunch now.' Hunk remarked. 'Want to ask her now?'

   For a moment, Lance didn't respond. He was absolutely terrified of her answer. He really liked Amanda. He thought she was beautiful. She always looked so pretty each and every day.

   Lance was in love with her.

   He was only in ninth grade, but he already had a crush on the hottest and most popular girl in his grade.

   But he didn't want fear to stop him from doing something new. Something bold. And something daring.

   Slowly, Lance nodded. 'Yes. I want to ask her now.'

   Katie seemed to crawl into a cave as she sighed. She was not at all impressed with Lance's attraction and thought he was making a huge mistake. But the two were friends. She would stand by him no matter the outcome.

   So Lance got to his feet, pulled the small poster from his backpack, unfolded it to give it one last spell check and marched towards his crush.