Chapter 2: The Confrontation

*When your heart hides away what you just can't say, your eyes will say what it is you've tried to hide away.

There was a shocked silence after Natsume's declaration. Everyone except Hotaru was staring at them with surprised, questioning eyes. Mikan on the other hand, continued to glare at Natsume, who once again, had a smug look on his face.

"Typical, Natsume." Mikan said between gritted teeth.

"It's better to spill the beans now than letting them find out for themselves, right?" Natsume replied, clearly amused.

"Sorry to burst your bubble, but as far as I could remember, we already broke up two years ago."

"Actually, it has only been 1 year, 5 months, 3 weeks and 4 days since we broke up."

"I'm surprise that you're actually keeping track of time." Mikan couldn't help but snort.

"Not really." Natsume said nonchalantly.

"Whatever, it doesn't really matter. What really matters is why you're here in the first place." Mikan crossed her arms and waited for his answer. But as expected of Natsume, he gave no answer. Instead, he ended up teasing her, causing Mikan's anger to increase tenfold.

"Why? Aren't you happy that I'm here?"

"Obviously, no. And of all the schools here in Tokyo to transfer in, why did you end up choosing this one?" Mikan demanded.

"Isn't it already obvious?" Natsume continued to tease, clearly enjoying himself.

Mikan counted mentally from one to ten. She shouldn't get impatient with Natsume, at least, not in front of the whole class.

"I wouldn't actually be asking if I already know, idiot." She managed to say.

"That's because you're here." It was barely a whisper, but Mikan heard it loud and clear.

She looked at him with questioning eyes, trying hard to read his expression. She was expecting him to be joking, but he wasn't.

Natsume's crimson eyes were intense and showed no hint of amusement. He was indeed serious. For a moment there, all Mikan could do was stare at him and he stared back at her. In that single moment, Mikan forgot about everyone else as she drowned in the depths of Natsume's beautiful, alluring crimson eyes.

Natsume had always been handsome. Even in the two years that Mikan hadn't seen him, she would never forget his face. He, who had charmed almost the whole female population of Okinawa; he, who had been the target of almost every single female student in their old school; and he, who had stolen yet, broke her heart.

Reality suddenly hit Mikan, and she looked away.

"Why? Can't you find some other girl to cheat on?" As much as she tried to hide it, she couldn't keep the pain in her voice.

Anger flashed in Natsume's eyes but Mikan stood her ground. He, of all people, had no right to be angry with her. But before he could utter a single word, Hotaru stood from her seat, grabbed both of them and went out of the room. She paused only long enough to excuse herself and her companions from Narumi. Before Mikan was even aware of it, they were already outside of the building.

"Why can't you leave my best friend alone, Hyuuga?" Hotaru demanded, after releasing the two of them.

"You really did what you said you'd do, Imai." Natsume said smugly.

"Hotaru, what does he mean?" Mikan asked, confused. But unfortunately for her, both Hotaru and Natsume completely ignored her.

"Unlike you Hyuuga, I always keep my word. If I said that I would protect Mikan from the clutches of guys like you, I'd do it, even if I have to transfer to Antarctica." Hotaru glared at Natsume.

"So, because of that 'word', you'd sacrifice even your relationship with Ruka? Didn't you even think about his feelings? You actually broke up with my best friend." Natsume taunted.

Mikan looked at Hotaru. She didn't even know that Hotaru and Ruka broke up. And to make things worse, it was because of her. Hotaru's face remained cold, emotionless. But for a brief moment, Mikan could swear that she saw pain cross Hotaru's eyes.

"My relationship with Ruka has nothing to do with my decision, Hyuuga. And don't you even dare criticize me of being a horrible girlfriend because frankly, what you did to Mikan was a billion times worse. Didn't you even realize how heartbroken Mikan was when she found out that you actually cheated on her?"

"I didn't cheat on her." Natsume defended himself.

Now it was Mikan's turn to get angry. He actually had the nerve to defend himself when it was Mikan who saw what he did? Without even realizing it, tears started streaming from her eyes and she slapped him.

"You actually think that I would believe you? Natsume, I saw you. I saw you and Luna Koizumi kissing in your room! And you told me that you had basketball practice on that day, that's why I wanted to come over and spend time with Aoi. But frankly, you were spending your time making out with Koizumi!"

"Mikan, will you listen to me?" Natsume tried to reason out with her but Mikan didn't listen to her. He grabbed hold of her hands and forced her to look at him.

"Let me go!" Mikan tried to break free, but Natsume was just too strong. She looked up at him, and his crimson eyes were serious.

"I never kissed Koizumi. She was the one who kissed me."