Chapter 20: Goodbyes

*Oftentimes we say goodbye to the person we love without wanting to. Though, that doesn't mean that we've stopped loving them or we've stopped to care. Sometimes goodbye is a painful way to say I Love You.

"You're joking, right?" Natsume asked, his crimson eyes boring into Mikan's.

Mikan wished that she was. Reluctantly, she shook her head.

"But why?" Pain shot across Natsume's eyes.

Mikan looked away from him. Tears were still pouring down from her eyes.

"When my parents found out about the incident, they were furious. They demanded that I should quit boarding school and live with them again." She wrapped her arms around her legs. "They were always so overprotective of me." She sighed.

Natsume ignored her last comment and held her close.

"In Okinawa?" He asked.

Mikan shook her head.

"No." She whispered. "Dad is expanding the company and our family is moving away to America."

Natsume became quiet.

Minutes have passed, but he still didn't speak. Mikan finally looked at him, and her heart all the more became heavy.

Natsume's expression was heartbreaking. His eyes were downcast, but Mikan could still see the sadness in them. And she was the one causing him pain. She wished that she hadn't spoken at all. She wished that she hadn't told him in the first place. But she didn't want to lie to him. Not again. She'd rather have him hate her for telling the truth, rather than have him love her because of lies.

"How long will you be staying there?" Natsume finally asked.

"I don't really know." Mikan admitted. "Who exactly knows? A year? Five years? Ten years? My parents will most probably keep me there for the rest of my life if they wanted."

Natsume tightened his hold on her.

"When are you leaving?" He asked.

Mikan sobbed even harder.

"In one week." She whispered.

"But that's too soon." Natsume protested. Mikan could see the anger starting to form in his eyes.

"I know." She whispered.

Mikan didn't want to leave. Of course she didn't. Also, it would be too hard to leave now. Especially since she and Natsume only recently got back together again.

"Isn't there anyway for me to make you stay?" Natsume asked.

There was pain in his eyes. Mikan felt all the more guilty. But there was no way. There was no way for her to stay in Alice Academy. After all, her parents said so.

Sadly, she shook her head.

Natsume embraced her tightly. Mikan could hear the fast beating of his heart.

"I don't want you to go." Natsume whispered.

Mikan cried once again.

"Me too." She said as she held onto him.

Mikan wished that time would stop. That next week wouldn't come. She didn't want to leave Natsume's arms. She didn't want to let him go. Because for sure, the two of them wouldn't be able to see each other for a long time. She didn't want that to happen again. But that was impossible.