BROTHER - dorbyn

BROTHER
dorbyn

WARNINGS !
sad, mentions of death :/

SONG: brother by falling in reverse
or !
we are family by sister sledge

|

Daniel felt frozen.

His legs and arms felt stiff, the cool rush of water washing over him and numbing him to his core remained like a phantom touch of misery. All he could do was stay still as he took in gulps of guilt and drowned in self loathing.

His hands held his head, gripping his hair as he squeezed his eyes shut tight. Daniel's mouth was opening with silent prayers spilling out. Maybe if he prayed hard enough and didn't open his eyes to reality, things would change. Places would switch, the heartbreak would end.

An arm on his shoulder snapped him back to reality, confusion washing over him as the person reached out, wiping the tears Daniel hadn't noticed were running now his cheeks.

"Everyone is gone, do you want to be left alone?" Corbyn asked gently, crouching in front of Daniel, placing a hand on his knee, running his thumb across the fabric in comfort.

Daniel opened his mouth, "I-" he quickly shut it when his voice cracked, clearing his throat and shaking his head no instead.

"It's alright if I sit?" Corbyn confirmed, looking at the wide space next to Daniel on the bench.

"Of course." He said quietly, giving Corbyn a weak smile when he kissed his head.

Daniel stared straight at the casket at the front of the room, open for viewing. Daniel hadn't been up, not sure how much he'd be able to handle. But would he regret that?

His presence still lingered wherever Daniel went, the hope that the feeling would fade with seeing him is what made Daniel stand.

Corbyn looked unsure, knowing Daniel had spoken up about his doubts of seeing his brother in this state.

"Are you sure?" Corbyn asked quietly, Daniel nodding. "Do you want me to stay here?"

Daniel reached now, intertwining their fingers as he pulled Corbyn up. Corbyn squeezed his hand in comfort as they got up there, a gasp leaving Daniel's lips as stared.

He was quick to look away though, swallowing the lump his throat as his lips trembled with the weight of need to cry. Daniel's choked back sob came out louder than he anticipated, tears falling fast as he broke down.

"I don't understand." Daniel cried. He couldn't breathe. The emptiness was replaced by too much at once. Sadness, regret, guilt, longing, anger. He was so angry. "If God protects all his children, why would he take one away? He didn't deserve this." Daniel shook his head back and forth rapidly, aware of Corbyn's arms wrapping around his body, chin on top of his head as he held him close.

"I don't know why this happened, baby. We might never know." His voice was soft, low and comforting to Daniel as he tried to pull himself together. "But it'll be okay."

"When?" Daniel mumbled into his chest, tears soaking through Corbyn's dress shirt, though he didn't mind.

"I don't know." Corbyn admitted. "Not now. But eventually. I don't know how long it'll take, all I know is that Ty wouldn't want you to be sad for too long."