Clean | Cake

Warnings; mature, smut.

It had been months, ages even, since Luke had lost Ashton, in more ways than one. It was more than just another body in his bed, keeping the sheets warm. It was the fact that his apartment had been quiet, there was no humming in the mornings now. There wasn't the smell of dinner when Luke returned home from work. There wasn't the loud sound of the television that seemed to always lullaby Ashton to sleep but keep Luke up for an extra hour or two. It was so much more. It was all Luke could do was to remedy with alcohol, in a bar, where no one knew he was. It was easier that way. It was easier to forget to feel the pain of remembering, of returning home and not hearing the shower running because when Luke returned late, Ashton would always be showering from the gym. Luke's heart ached, every time Luke's heart ached, he took another sip of alcohol.

The bar was dimly lit, the music that played was ambient. It was a different scene for a bar, it was more 'poetry slam' themed than 'let's go home and fuck' themed. But, Luke didn't care as long as it had liquor and music that would take his mind off the current issue that seemed to dwell within his mind. He sat alone until the doors made a chiming sound. Luke's head didn't even turn. It didn't need to. He didn't need to know that there were any others here besides himself. But, someone just had to have the audacity to sit next to the already tensed man. Luke's hand went to brush through the locks that had gotten longer since he had given up on going out since the months had gone by without Ashton. Oceanic eyes twitch as he holds his gaze towards the bottles that line the racks behind the bar, counting them in his mind to keep thoughts from drifting. The voice that arose from next to him isn't anyone he knows nor does he want to know.

"I'll take a pale ale, whatever you think is best man... Yeah, thanks. Great." The voice isn't as irritating to Luke as many had been before, but, he would have liked the quiet more.

Luke tucked some of his hair behind his ear and his hand returned to leaning against his cheek, painted red nails done by his niece, tap against the scruff of his cheek that he had been too lazy to shave. His eyes roll to the side, giving the man that sat beside him, an ounce of eye contact that Luke didn't expect to make but, it seemed that the other man couldn't keep his own eyes to himself. Luke was met with brown eyes that looked back into his own and Luke automatically looked back away, glancing back to the rack of bottles that lined the walls. He tried to hold his breath, hoping that whatever eye-contact he had just made, had avoided even the slightest chance of a conversation. But alas, when was Luke ever that lucky? He had always been the epitome of bad luck.

"Havin' a good night there? You look absolutely bored out of your mind." The raspy voice had spoken again, but it didn't intrigue Luke to look over, not right now.

"Oh? Do I? I'm perfectly fine." His free hand reached to the bottle of alcohol that he had seemed so attached to, maybe to the closest thing that he had been attached to since the loss of someone close to his heart. Not that anyone would believe that Luke had a heart after the way he had left things with Ashton.

There is a long pause in between spoken words, but it doesn't take long for the man to speak again, "Perfectly fine doesn't really seem like the right answer. The way you're gripping that bottle really doesn't help your case either."

Luke clenched his fist against the bottle, not giving a damn about what the other had just said about his body language. He almost wanted to leave, but he is more stubborn than he is mad at the moment. "Yeah? What makes you think that? You an expert on body language? Take a class in it or somethin'?" His voice is raspy, eyes falling back to the other, ripped from the scene of ambiance and now reminded that there was an outside world.