04 - 𝐠𝐚𝐥𝐰𝐚𝐲, 𝟏𝟗𝟎𝟔

04.

"Emma!" Grace's voice echoed through the grounds of the Burgess estate. The twelve year old ran barefoot down the hill, following her ten year old sister. "Emma wait! Stop!"

Emma carried on running a few yards ahead, speeding off and disappearing off into the woods. Grace could see her sister struggling to climb over a tree trunk, and used the opportunity to catch up and grab her by the shoulders.

Grace wrestled Emma to the ground, tearing both their white dresses in the process, though Emma's was already considerably dirtier. Thrashing and yelling, her sister was hard to hold down like a fish out of water, and Grace sat on her stomach, pinning Emma's arms to the ground as her sister sobbed manically.

"What are you doing?" Grace yelled at the ten year old.

"Get off me!" Emma screamed, clenching her little fists as tears tumbled down her cheeks.

"Why did you lose it?" Grace demanded. A moment ago, Emma had thrown a tantrum in the middle of the kitchen and started smashing plates in front of the adults, before bolting, of course.

"Get off me!" Emma shrieked again, writhing in her sister's grip.

Grace let go of one of Emma's arms and used her free hand to slap the younger girl into sense. Emma's now free hand gripped onto one of Grace's perfect ringlets and yanked it in retaliation.

"I won't get off you until you calm down and tell me what just happened!" Grace shouted over her sister's bawling as she pinned the girl's arm down again.

"They hate me!" Emma screamed through her tears. "They all hate me!"

"Mam and Da?" Grace asked.

"They hate me!" Emma repeated, weeping. "They wish I was never born!"

Grace said nothing.

"I heard them!" Emma cried. "I heard everything they were saying!"

"You can't just do things like that, Emma," Grace told her. "Smash plates and run away. Where would you be now if I wasn't there to run and catch you. Pull yourself together!"

Emma continued to weep and writhe around, but slowly lost energy, and flopped onto the ground. She let out a few weak, defeated sobs before lying very still and looking up at the sky, silent tears dripping down her dirty cheeks.

note. this is so short sorry