Chapter 1

I slam the cab door shut, grabbing our bags as Jason pays. I look over the building, sighing. My father finally gave me the penthouse to do whatever I please with. I told him that after this vacation that I'd be selling it.

"That's fine, Lilly-bee. You can decide what to do or not. It's yours now." And with that, he turned back to his newspaper. I had never wanted the place. All the memories it held. Even though David was my mother's lover, I had liked him. There was never any bad blood about the affair. My father had his point of view on the matter and that was it. But for those years I knew him, he didn't treat me like he was my father. But I felt close to him like he was my step-father.

I bite my lip and sigh, walking into the lobby. I see the old bell boy. The last time I seen him, he had acne and braces. His little brother was about the same age as me. I grin and walk over to him. Jason walks over to the help desk for our key.

"Carson! Oh my gosh. You've grown so much."

He turns, reaching to grab my bag before seeing me.

"Lilliana, holy crap! Last time I seen you, you and my brother were the same age!" He's almost in his fourties. I remember the last time I seen him was his late teens. His little brother and him came here after school for his job. I remember my mother talking to my father about it.

As it turned out, his parents weren't the best. So, he emancipated himself and took his little brother once everything was settled. He started a job here and paid for an apartment and food for his little brother. Since his parents didn't particularly care, they let them be.

"Carson! How is your little brother? Mark was his name, wasn't it? It's wonderful to you! "

"Yeah! Gosh, he'd be tickled to see you. That's crazy how much you've grown! Hey, make sure you tell your dad I said thanks for help of paying Mark's tuition!" His smile was genuine and it took me back. I hadn't known that my father was paying it. I knew him and my mother used to send at least nine-thousand dollars to them yearly.

I promised him I would and let go of his hand. I remember playing in this lobby with his little brother. We were close friends at that time. But the years of not seeing each other caused our friendship to end.

Jason walks back over. I allow Carson to load our bags to help us to our penthouse. I introduce them to each other as we head to the elevator, Jason starting to ask me questions and wrap his arm around my waist. I look up at him.

"Now, this originally is the largest suite in the hotel. Yes?" I nod.

"Then how come your family had own of it?" He asks finally.

"Well, my father knew the owner of the hotel. They were pretty much best friends back in their earlier years. So when my parents married, they wanted to honeymoon here in New York. As a wedding present, he gave my father this suite and said he could do with it as he pleased. So my father pays the bills and rents it sometimes when nobody from our family plans to stay here." He looks at my shocked.

"So you own this now? Completely?"

"Well yes. But we both will here soon after we marry. But I planned to sell it. Unless you say otherwise."

"Well why don't we just move up here then?" He grins, turning and placing his other hand on my hip to pull me close.

I was a little embarrassed for him to be so affectionate with someone this close. Especially someone that used to see me like a little sister. I mumble just loud enough for Jason to hear me.

"Not right now. We're not alone." He sighs and pulls back so we aren't so close.

"And we couldn't move here. As much as I love all the things to do here, I'm not a big fan of New York."

"We can make new memories for you. I'll make you New York's number one fan."

"There's also our job's, Jason. We can't just up and leave it all. It'll take to long to find jobs like that. Besides, I love our house in Ohio now. I love those memories much more. It was when I first fell in love with you." I hum, smiling. I didn't tell him about my mother's affair. The only people who needed to know was my family and David Greene's family.

I just found it too embarrassing to talk about.

The elevator finally reaches the floor of our suite and dings. Carson pulls our luggage out and we follow in suit. He pulls our bags off the trolley and sets them on the floor. I sigh and stretch as Jason gives Carson a tip. Contented, Carson heads back down the elevator.

Me and Jason take our things and begin to unpack, ready for sleep; our bodies jet lagged from our flight. After an hour and a half after we've settled in for the night and had dinner, Jason gets a call.

I stay in the room and finish getting dressed into my night clothes.

After pulling on my night pants and sitting down, Jason comes back in.

"I have wonderful news. A friend of mine just told me someone he knows is holding fundraiser to children in need. And he invited us. It's not until late and it's formal attire. We could go out shopping and get you a beautiful dress for it. Interested?" I shrug and sit back.

"Why not?"