Sweltering

Paul was hot.

No..no, hot was an understatement for what he was feeling.

Paul was sweltering.

Drops of sweat were trickling down his back underneath his thin cotton shirt, causing him to shift uncomfortably on John's bed.

"Are you sure you don't have a fan or something? It's awful in here, bloody awful. I can barely breathe."

John snorted quietly and rolled his eyes at the pretentious way his mate could behave, leaning against the headboard and lazily stretching out his legs over the mattress. He too felt the affects of the summer sun beating down upon them and how stuffy his room had become, even with the window propped open. But still, it wasn't as horrible as Paul was making it out to be.

"No fan. Maybe you should go jump in the lake or something - should be nice and cool in there." He suggested cheekily, flicking at Paul's ear.

The younger boy jumped slightly and batted away the hand in his peripheral vision, scowling.

"What are we gonna do, then? Too hot to play, too tired to go out somewhere."

"Then we'll stay in here and do exactly what we've been doing."

"John, we've just been sitting."

John huffed under his breath and threw his arms up in mock frustration, raising his rather bushy eyebrows at McCartney.

"It's impossible to fucking please anyone these days, isn't it? Stay here."

The guitarist slid his thin body off of the bed, surprised when he suddenly felt lightheaded and weak from the pure heat exhaustion his body was under. It didn't become evident until he tried to get up and move, and his brain failed to cooperate with his muscles and bones. He moaned softly and let himself fall back flat on the bed, closing his eyes.

Paul studied him quietly and his eyes roamed over the boy's disheveled damp hair and furrowed brows; the curve of his aquiline nose and the drop of sweat traveling smoothly from his jawline and down his neck. He reached out and wiped it away with the pad of his thumb and John blinked his eyes open, a look of question displayed within them.

"Why'd you do that?" He asked, his voice sounding breathless as his head spun from the near blackout he had encountered.

Paul's face quickly darkened into an unflattering shade of red; his skin hot and not so much from the heat outside.

"I jus' wanted to. That's all." He mumbled.

John was thinking now. That was never a good thing for either party. The wheels of his mind were turning and creaking and maybe the sun outside was getting to him as well.

It's not that he hasn't had thoughts like these before, and god knows he's felt the tension between the two of them, greedy and raw, but never before has he felt the need to act on them this strongly. Paul felt fairly bold that day but John was always one step ahead it seemed.

"Well, in that case.." The elder of them mumbled, a sneaky grin growing on his face.

John pulled himself up into a sitting position and once again felt somewhat lightheaded, maybe a little nauseous as well. He really needed something to drink soon, the thought of a cold glass of ice water making his throat feel drier than it did before, but the warm body beside of him was even more tempting.

Acting on impulse, he swiped his thumb across Paul's forehead and felt the hot, damp skin as he caught a couple drops of sweat. He proceeded to smile mischievously as he licked off the perspiration slowly, his tongue sliding deliberately over his thumb and the salty taste of the liquid in his mouth.