Blind Beauty | 22

MADE SOMETHING---------->

Chapter Veintidós

A sense of nausea filled Arlette’s stomach, clotting it. She didn’t know whether to feel glad or terrified that the evil woman wasn’t the one talking to her. Instead, it was Ember.

Ember. Who had drastically and painfully changed.

“You...you damned yourself!” Ember accused, her footsteps quickly gaining speed toward Arlette. Arlette backed away frighteningly as she spoke. “And all of us!”

Once close enough, Ember pushed her hard, making her slam against a wall.

“How?” Arlette screamed. “How? How? How?” Tears streamed down her face as confusion and desperation clung to her soul.

Ember stabbed Arlette with her finger on her chest repeatedly as she spat out the answer. “You know really well how! Everything that has happened...it’s your fault! Mother was right. Your powers do come from evil, and evil always brings bad stuff upon lives.” 

Ember’s words stabbed at her heart, making everything crumble within her, but also making anger start to snare up her chest.

“Father said I wasn’t

“Oh father, our dear father...” Ember drawled mockingly. “He doesn’tdidn’t know anything about your powers

“Shut up!” Arlette had had it with her sister. Furious, she started walking, making her sister back away. “I, for the hundredth time, don’t come from evil. Why are you and mom so dead set on that? What have I done? All my life, all I’ve ever seen is darkness. Darkness and nothing else. Aren’t these abilities some kind of...gift? Power?” 

“You don’t understand, Arlette. You are a descendant of that man! That horrible man Griselda married

“So are you, Ember

“But you’re just like him. Mom told me that. You’re just like him, though you still haven’t developed all your powers.”

But Arlette didn’t feel like she was this wicked, frightening being. She didn’t feel the need to kill or destroy. On the contrary, she repelled the thought of killing someone. So why was Ember so convinced that whatever Arlette was wasn’t good?

“You’re making no sense, Ember.” Arlette said to her sister.

“Not now, but soon...” Ember promised.

Arlette shook her head, reminding herself, “This is just a dream,”

“It is indeed. But what’s about to happen won’t be,”