Premonition: Invisible Ties

"This is it. Our final battle."

The air was thick with the dark aura Validar had summoned, so much so I felt that even breathing was weakening me. Through all the hardship and all the sacrifice we had to endure...we had finally reached the Dragon's Table. And yet, as the three of us stood there, ready to give our lives to stop this dreaded ritual...doubt filled my mind. Doubt that we would survive this and be able to rebuild...doubt that everyone's sacrifice would mean something.

I looked down at my hands, the silver armor covered in a small coat of sand and dust, and the wind blowing the red of my cape into my sight. This armor, made of purest silver, was years old now...and even though it covered the entirety of my body, save for a helmet, I felt naked against this threat. My eyes went from my hands to the weapons at my side. Stuck firmly into the ground was a large kite shield that I wielded with my left hand, the Brand of Ylisse painted brightly upon its front, and small blades pointing out from its edges. At my belt, stuck firmly in its sheath, was a long, silver broadsword, my weapon of choice for shielded combat. But for all my gear, for all the prowess I had for combat...nothing would stop this...creeping feeling I had crawling down my spine.

I felt a hand place itself upon my shoulder, and I looked down to see Chrom, my baby brother, looking up at me, resolve burning in his eyes. "(Y/N)," he began, his grip tightening as he went on. "I know how you must be feeling. I wont lie; there's a chance we wont come back from this. But I'll be damned if I let anything happen to you. You're my brother, and nothing will ever change that. We fight as one." He said, a passion stuck firmly into his words. Say what you will, but Chrom...he always knew what to say to get me back up. Sometimes it felt like he was the older brother...but not this time. This time, I was going to be the brother he needed me to be. My brow furrowed with conviction as I reached over and pulled the kite shield out from its place in the ground and drew my blade with the other hand.

"Robin, you're one of us. No 'destiny' is going to change that." Chrom said to the third figure to his opposite side. I paused as I looked over to our tactician; their hood was up, likely to stop the sand and dust from getting into their eyes. They had been with us through thick and thin; it was safe to say they had earned my trust, as well as the trust of my baby brother. "He's right. Destiny be damned! Now's the time where we write our own future!" I told Robin, my voice echoing through the chamber, deep, but with conviction. At my words, Robin turned their head to me, and though I couldnt see their face, I could see a smile form on their lips as they gave me a short nod.

"Right! Let's kill this dastard and be done with it!" Chrom said, drawing Falchion from its sheath at his side. He charged forward to the altar where Validar awaited with a loud war cry, Robin following suit. I slammed the flat of my blade against my shield, and with a cry of rage, I followed them. The Sorcerer merely laughed as we approached. "Fools! Destiny cannot be undone!" He said, his laughter echoing throughout the chamber. Chrom was the first to reach him, striking fast and hard, but Validar could see through them. Using his magic, he created a shield of his own to guide Chroms blade to the side, causing him to stumble. Not wanting to have to bury my brother after all of this, I dashed in, blade raised above my head. Validar turned, ready to push my blade away as well, but instead of letting it fall, I pushed my shield forward, bashing it right into the Plegian King. The blow caused him to stumble, and I brought my blade down right after.

The Sorcerer was nimble, and though he managed to recover and dodge, the slash of my blade had still cut his chest. He summoned his magic once more as he tossed a ball of dark energy at me, and I had to jump to avoid being hit. Chrom, thankfully, had recovered, and rolled forward with a mighty slash as Validar had his back turned. Unfortunately just as his sword met the fiend, Validar disappeared, and we all looked around frantically for him. "Up there!" Chrom cried, and we looked up to see Validar floating near the ceiling. Robin shot a bolt of lightning at him, but the Sorcerer merely laughed once more as he disappeared.

"You fools!" Echoed across the chamber as we all searched once more for his location. Suddenly, Chrom was pushed into a pillar as a ball of dark magic slammed into him, and Robin and I turned to see Validar laughing yet again, his hand raised above his head as he gathered more magic, the dark energy turning into another ball. "Die!" He cried, launching it at Chrom, and in a split second decision, I leapt in front of my baby brother, shield raised. Dark magic met shield in a small explosion, and my feet dug into the ground as I was pushed back, but otherwise fine. I turned to look back at my brother with a nod, who returned the gesture and quickly stood up.

Validar gave me an angry glare as he did so, but that was his undoing; taking advantage of this distraction, Robin hurled another bolt of lightning at him, and Validar had barely any time to bring his defenses back up. Try as he might to block, the bolt of lightning pierced him, and slowly, he fell to the floor, the excess of dark energy melting off of him. We all relaxed, certain he had met his demise, and I realized just how hard I had been breathing. I turned to my brother and smiled, and Chrom gave me one in return as he turned to check on Robin. I stuck my shield in the ground again and used the now free hand to wipe the sweat from my br-

"This isnt over! DAMN YOU ALL!" Came a ghastly voice from behind, and I turned to see the magic from Validar spiking as he hurled one more ball of magic at Chrom. I tried to move forward, but I knew I wouldnt make it; damn it, why did I let my guard down! Chrom, please dodge! I held onto hope he would react faster than I, but instead of that, Robin moved forward and pushed him out of the way.

The ball of magic hit Robin dead on, and they fell back from the explosion. Chrom quickly rushed to their side, and I turned to see Validars body slowly dissipate into nothing. Stepping quickly, I moved forward to where his body was, glancing around the room. Was that it? Did...did we win? Somehow, I feel like...we've lost...

"Hey, you alright?" Chrom asked as he pulled Robin to their feet, though I was still ferverently scanning the area. "That's the end of him. Thanks to you, we carried the day! We can rest easy now...at long last..." he said, relief flooding into his words. I relaxed as he did so, spying nothing else that seemed suspicious. "What's wrong?" Came his voice yet again, and this time I turned to look at the two once more. Robin seemed to be holding their head in pain, but their other hand...were they summoning magic? Worried, I stepped closer to them. "What's wrong with Robin?" I asked, still glancing behind my shoulder nervously. "I-I dont know!" He responded, worry evident in his tone as he put his hands on Robin's shoulders. "Hey, look at-"

Chrom stopped short as he let out a small gasp, and I quickly turned back...only to see my worst fears realized. A bolt of lightning stuck out from his middle, and be stumbled back. My baby brother took a labored, heavy breath before he looked over to Robin, who was staring at their hands if they couldn't believe what they had done. I couldn't move; my whole body had frozen up at the sight of Chrom being stabbed. An expression of anguish was all I could muster from my body as I watched him cling to life.

"This is not your...your fault, Robin. Promise me...you'll escape from this place...please..." He told Robin, and then shakily brought his gaze over to mine. "(Y/N)...I'm so...sorry...please...take care of...Lucina...my brother..." he said, tears forming in his eyes as he fell forward.

My blade hit the ground as my body found movement again, quickly grabbing Chrom before he hit the stone floor. I sank to my knees, staring down at the body of my baby brother laying lifeless in my arms, his eyes closed, but tears still fresh on his face. "Ch...Chrom..." I managed to choke out, before my vision began to blur from the tears filling my own eyes. Slowly, I brought his forehead to my own as I began to sob, an echo of evil laughter surrounding me before everything went dark...

------------------------------------

-AUTHORS NOTE-

Hello, everyone! Thanks for reading! This is my first story on Wattpad, and though I'm no novice to writing, I still have difficulties with it sometimes, so forgive me if the way I write is not as...common as others on here. This story is an idea I've bounced around in my head for nearly a year, and I'm just now getting around to putting it to paper. Updates to it may be slow, depends on the amount of free time I can scrounge together. I'm really looking for some feedback on this, of any kind! Please, let me know what you think, as well as any suggestions you may have to make the story better!