Chapter 2: Shepherds

Tea with Maribelle was, surprisingly, not that bad. She was always the picture of noble elegance, so the topics of discussion didnt stray too far from the problems of herself or the nobility...but she was quite clearly enjoying herself. Occasionally she would cover up her mouth daintily with one gloved hand and giggle before leaning over and gently pushing me for making a bad joke. Believe it or not, she was especially fond of the puns I would make; not that those were very good, mind you, but she was having a good time, so I was too.

"So tell me, Prince Y/N, is there a suitor at court for you? I'd imagine there's many a Countess vying for your hand." Maribelle asked, like it was the most normal thing in the world, absently stirring her tea with a spoon.

Naturally, I felt my face heat up, and this time it wasnt from my armor. Why would Maribelle want to talk about this of all things? She was aware of my...background, wasnt she?  I had spent so much time trying to be forgotten that if a Lady did show up looking for my hand, she would have to physically search the castle for me first.

"Er, Ms. Maribelle, I-"

"Just Maribelle is fine, darling. I consider us to be good friends, don't you? Let's not sully that with titles." She said, quickly interrupting me. That gave me pause; Maribelle was quite insistent on titles. The only one who really called her just by her name was Lissa. Why would she...?

Speaking of Sully, the door to Maribelle's tea room swung open, and the young maiden jumped up in shock, releasing a small squeak as she did so. The crimson clad cavalier poked her head inside and looked around until it settled on me.

"Ah, there ya are. Come on, Chrom says it's time to head out. You can have...uh....what exactly is this?" Sully asked, staring at the table Maribelle and I had been sitting at. It was covered by a pink doilie, a small tray of sweets adorning the top of it, and I was holding a small, ornate pink teacup in my hand. Unbeknownst to even myself, my pinky was up while holding it. I looked from the teacup, to Sully, to the table, then back to Sully.

"Uh.....teatime?"

Sully gave me a look like I just said that Mad King Gangrel was going to be Chroms Best Man at his wedding.

".......riiiiiiiight. Teatime. Mhm."

Maribelle took this moment to finally snap out of her stupor, angrily stepping forward towards Sully and placing her hands on her hips with dramatic flair.

"Ugh, are none of you cretins aware of how to properly open a door!? I swear, we might as well be living with a pack of monkeys! Run along, Sully. I'll send Prince Y/N back once teatime is over!" She exclaimed, planting her foot firmly down as if to accentuate her point. Sully, however, merely looked the noble up and down before letting out a loud snort.

"Yeah, not happening, Your Ladyship. Chrom says it's time to go and the Commander has to get moving too. Unless you're coming with us?" Sully asked, raising an eyebrow at Maribelle as if she was challenging her to say yes. The noble in question merely glared at Sully, who returned with just as chilling a stare. Sparks flew between their gaze, and I thought it best to defuse the situation before it got out of hand.

Quickly setting the teacup down, I moved over to Sully and pulled her away from Maribelle and moved her roughly out the door, much to her dismay and to quite a protest.

"My apologies Maribelle, but may we pick this up another time? The fate of the realm waits for no man."

"Or woman. See ya, Queenie!" Said Sully from behind me, yanking be backwards and quickly shutting the door in Maribelle's face before she could respond. I could hear a scoff come from her as she did so. "Floozy." She muttered, shaking her head.