Chapter 1: Unwelcome Change

With the bandit leader defeated, the rest of the brigands that stuck around were quickly routed. The Shepherds quickly helped the townsfolk put out the fires. Even as we ran around piling water onto the blazes, I could feel Robin's eyes stuck on me. Eventually, we all met up back in the middle of the town square, out of a breath and a bit covered with ash, but physically fine. Robin sighed as she brushed some soot from her robe.

"Well, that's the end of that." The silver-haired mage said with a huff, smoothing out her tunic. Lissa giggled at her antics, dusting off a part of her dress. "Lucky for the town, we were close by. But holy wow, Robin! Swords, sorcery, and tactics! Is there anything you cant do?" The princess asked in a giddy manner. Chrom gave a small smile at her antics, but Frederick was still as stern as ever as he stared down the mystery woman in front of them. "You're certainly no helpless victim, that's for sure." Chrom said, crossing his arms over his chest as he laughed lightly.

Frederick, however, did not see the situation as any type of amusing. He stepped forward with his hands behind his back and stared Robin down. "Indeed. Perhaps you might even be capable of an explanation as to how you came here?" The royal retainer questioned, his gaze settling harshly onto the wizard. She shrank back under his stare, but she did her best to keep her eyes on him. "I understand your skepticism, Sir Frederick. And I cannot explain why only some knowledge has returned to me, but...please believe me. I have shared all that I know." She told the knight, finally looking down at her feet.

I watched the exchange from the side, my shield still on my arm, but my sword now safely away in my sheath. I had been silent so far, but as Fredericks judging gaze settled upon her, I felt the need to step in. Stepping to Robin's side, I looked to Frederick with a steady gaze. "Robin doesnt remember a thing about herself. Despite that, she put herself in harm's way without a thought of her own safety to help us save the town. Her circumstances may be...odd, but..." I told him, looking over to Robin. "She has earned my trust." I finished with a smile, and she looked up to me with a grateful grin, though she looked away shortly after a blush appeared on her cheeks.

"I agree with Y/N. She worked to help save Ylissean lives. My heart says that's enough." Chrom told Frederick as he too stepped forward. The retainer, however, was not convinced, and merely breathed another sigh of annoyance. "And what of your minds, milord? Will you not heed their council as well?" He asked, his gaze moving between the two us. Chrom looked to Robin with a smile. "Frederick, the Shepherds could use someone with Robin's talents. We've brigands and unruly neighbors, all looking to bloody our soil. Would you really have us lose such an able tactician? Besides, I believe her story, odd as it might be." Chrom told his retainer defiantly, and I could see Frederick internally resign himself to my baby brothers wishes. The tactician in question breathed a sigh of relief as she nodded to the princeling. "Th-thank you, Chrom." She told him, the gratitude plain in her tone.

Chrom approached Robin and held out his hand for her to shake. "So, how about it? Will you join us, Robin?" He asked, and without any hesitation, Robin took his hand and shook it with a smile. "I would be honored." She replied, a large smile on her face, and Chrom laughed slightly as Lissa jumped in place with a little cheer. She looked over to me, and I chuckled as I gave her a nod and a smile, she returning the gesture in kind.

While Chrom and the others devised a plan to get back home, I decided it would be prudent to grab a few things while we were in town. My supply of whetstones was running low, and I needed a few more bits of travel jerky for the road. Oh, and I should pick up a souvenir for Emm while I'm here...hmm...

The few stalls that had returned to business didnt have a whole lot to offer, but I managed to scrounge together a few whetstones, some jerky, and a small carving of a bear from the town artisan. Emm rarely had the chance to leave the capitol, and when she did, it was nearly always for politics. I figured if she couldnt come and see the outside world herself, then I could bring a piece of it back to her. However, as I was placing the supplies into the pouch at my belt, a group of three villagers approached. One was a rather portly man with a mustache, one was a slender, aged woman, and I'm between them was...the girl I had saved from the bandit leader?