Chapter 5

Classes had been in session for about a week now, and Evan was slowly adjusting back into school mode. His shoulders were sore at first from the unfamiliar weight of having a backpack, and his homework routine was still a bit rusty, but he managed.

In fact, today was the day he was going to go to a study session for the first time. Only a few people would be there- including him, Smitty, Scott, and another of their friends who Evan had yet to be introduced to- so Evan figured it wouldn't be too miserable.

Slowly, Evan felt like he was regaining his social skills.

He snapped the hair-tie against his wrist as he ventured across campus to the dorm buildings by the name of 'The Benson Dormitory'. Kind of an odd name, but he noticed that nearly every building on campus had an odd name, so he just went with it. His backpack weighed heavily on his shoulders, but he didn't really notice as he tried to memorize the steps he was taking to get to his destination, trying not to get lost on a campus he didn't know very well. It was nice to have something to keep his mind off of whatever else floated through his head as he walked, music playing through his ear buds though he didn't really pay any mind to what song it was.

Evan continued to snap the hair tie on his wrist until he came across what he had been looking for. The Benson Dormitory.

Scotty had explained to him through a text that the group was going to be at his dorm, and if it turned out that they got too distracted then the next study session would be at the library.

Getting into the dorms was actually much easier than he had thought- turns out the doors are actually open during the day and you only need your ID if you're entering after 9PM, which he was not.

"Room 203....room 203...room 203." Evan softly chanted to himself as he roamed the hallway of the second floor of the building, phone tightly clutched in his hand as he opened up his text conversation with his boyfriend.

Evan
Made it to the dorms, see you in a few hours. Love you

Jonathan
Have fun! Call me if you need anything, okay? Love you

Evan
I will, miss you :(

Jonathan
It's just a few hours, go see your friends

Jonathan
Miss you too :((

"Evan! You're here!" The door swung open as soon as Evan pulled his hand away after softly knocking. Scott's voice startled him, making him jump back as his earbuds fell out. Evan's heart beat sped up just a little. "Sorry, didn't mean to scare you. Come on in."

Walking towards the door, Evan smiled. "It's okay, I just scare really easily. Is your friend here yet?" He asked as he stepped inside, wrapping the cord to his earbuds around three of his fingers. Evan blindly stuffed them into the outside mesh pocket on his bag as he spotted Smitty lounging on the couch. "Hey." He greeted.

"No, he's not here yet-Oh! By the way, he's bringing one of his friends to study with us, too. Hope you don't mind."

Evan slipped his bag off his shoulders and onto the floor while he settled awkwardly on the couch. "Oh, that's fine. The more the merrier, right?" He sunk into the couch with a sigh. Evan's fingers found the hair-tie on his wrist and snapped it a couple of times, taking calming breaths.

Smitty pulled himself off the couch, combing his hair with his fingers as he glanced at Evan. "Want anything to drink? Water, soda, wine, beer, vodka-"

"I said take it." Evan was pressed up against the wall, Tyler firmly placing a hand on one side of his head while the other held a cup of what Evan knew was bad. "It's your drink, Ev, now stop being a bitch and drink it."