Clear eyes

Chapter 2:

"Clear eyes-full hearts- Can’t lose"   (Friday night lights quote)

Taylor spent the night at Nathan’s house yesterday. I knew she felt guilty about what she did and she could not face me, unable to deal with seeing how hurt I was. She texted me saying how sorry she was and that she wanted us to talk about it right after she comes home from work today.

Since it was still pretty early and Taylor wouldn’t be home until 4pm, I knew that a run would do me some good. I was glad I had charged my phone last night because I could now listen to my favorite music while running. Taylor did know this but I had secretly checked that band she always gushes about and turns out they weren’t half bad. Actually, their first album was pretty dope and I had had it on repeat on my playlist for quite some time now, although I would never admit that to her.

Right as I was putting my sneakers on, my phone rang and my mother's face lit up on my screen. I groaned, knowing pretty well why she was calling me at this hour.

“Good morning, ma”

“Sienna, what is this shit I am hearing about you turning down your father? The man volunteered to pay for your vacation and your rent. Are you insane, γλυκιά μου?” she asked me in a tone full of annoyance (Sweetheart)

I laugh at the Greek endearment she used since she always does that when she is upset with me;she remembers her native language.

“Hello to you too, mom. Yes, I am doing ok, thanks for asking.” I answer her sarcastically

“Don’t get smart with me, Sienna. Why aren’t you on a plane to Ireland?” she says accusingly

“Because I don’t want to be on one. I wanna spend my summer the way I planned it and not in a foreign country where I know absolutely no one, with a father I only know the basics about.”

“Το ξερεις πως αυτό δεν ισχύει. (You know that’s not true). He raised you until you were twelve. And yes, he left after that, chasing his career… but I gotta admit he was talented and he did accomplish his dream. He also always paid child’s support and he called you occasionally. I mean, I am the first one to call him an asshole for not visiting you and for leaving the way he did but it’s been years, honey. Besides, this is a good opportunity for you to go over there and waste some of the money that he has stashed.” My mother finished her speech and an involuntary laugh escaped my lips

“What am I even supposed to do there, mom? I’ll bore myself to death. I’ll have no one to talk to.”

“You can still call or text all of your friends and your father will be there as well. He said he has no shows to play this summer so maybe there is a chance the two of you might find something in common to talk about.”

‘Like what, mom? His piano? As if I know anything about that.” I reply cynically

My mother signs , her voice becoming a bit sweeter,“Don’t be so negative, girl. Just think about it, ok?”

“Fineee. But I am not promising anything.” I tell her determinedly

“Good… and remember… if you end up visiting him, I expect him to be at least half a million dollars poorer when you get back. Κάνε με περήφανη. (make me proud)”

______________________________________

My run took longer than usual since I had a lot of frustration to let out of my body. Thoughts of my dad, the situation with Taylor and my upcoming future all erupted in my head.