3. Then

Texas, October 2017

We'd become fast friends, Skye and I. Either she was in my dorm room, or I was at her apartment on campus when we were free. Today was one of those days.

Her upstairs apartment had a balcony outside. We were sat in the two patio chairs, both with a textbook and notebook in our laps.

"Do you think she knows we're here?" Skye asked. I looked over at her and saw she was looking straight ahead at the apartment building in front of us. On the balcony right across, a blonde girl was doing the downward dog on a yoga mat. "I guess we should stop looking at her."

That was the first time I'd spared the other girl a glance. I hadn't known that we weren't alone. The last month, I seemed to only notice Skye.

"We can go inside if you want," I suggested. "I don't think I can read another word of this Philosophy textbook.

"You sure you don't want to stay out here and enjoy the view?" Skye said as she gathered her things and stood up

With my brows furrowed, I frowned at her in confusion. "No. I told you I'm sick of staring at my textbook."

Her shoulders seemed to sag in relief and she stood from her chair, patting the top of my head as she passed by. "Good. Let's head inside and eat. I'll need to leave soon and head to the venue to start decorating. "

I'd agreed to attend the event her sorority was hosting tonight. "What time should I be there?"

"Nine."

She looked over at the other balcony one last time with what looked to be a scowl before heading inside.

I got up to follow her to the kitchen and she was pulling ingredients from her fridge. If I needed another reason to be over here, it was for the access to an actual kitchen. Not the common room on my floor that contained a table, microwave and a sink.

"Chop the tomatoes for the salad?" She half asked half ordered.

I wasn't going to object. Not if she was feeding me.

With both of us working on it, it didn't take long for us to have seared salmon and a side salad finished. We grabbed a seat at the table and started to eat.

She was quiet as we ate, which wasn't like her.

"Skye, what's wrong?" I took a bite of my salad, then reached out and gently stabbed the top of her hand with my fork.

"Nothing's wrong."

Her lips pursed into a slight pout as she looked over at me. I wanted to kiss her right then. I'd wanted to kiss her so many times since I've met her, but I'd somehow landed myself into the role of her friend. I was still working on breaking out of that.

"Are you sure?" I prodded again.

"Do you ever think.." she trailed off, stabbing a chunk of lettuce. "Nevermind." She shoved the bite into her mouth, chewing. "I always get a little stressed out on days we have to host an event.

My head nodded in sympathy. "I can come if you need another set of hands."

"We can get it done. Us Alpha Sigma ladies are tough."

"You're bloody right they are," I said, finally getting a grin out of her.

*****

When I heard "Paint Party" I hadn't known what to expect. All I knew for sure was that I was to wear a plain white t-shirt, per Skye, and bottoms I didn't mind ruining.

Walking into the venue, I was surprised. All of the walls and the floor were covered in white paper. It was lit up with neon blue and purple lights, still keeping the place fairly dark, but the people stood out against the lights in their white attire. I wondered briefly if Louis was here. I'd never seen him in any bright colors.