6. Now

London, October 2019

"Do you remember Skye Carter?" I ask Niall. It's a few days later and we're sitting in Niall's flat. I still can't completely shake her memory. I wonder how she is. How her year went. Did she graduate? What was she doing with her degree? I wonder if she stayed in Marshall.

"The girl you were in love with back in Texas?" Niall shakes his head like I'm an idiot. "Duh."

"Do you think she'd want to talk to me? If I reached out?"

"No idea. You'd just have to find out for yourself."

"I cut ties to avoid hurting her. I don't want that to all be in vain if I were to reach out and that ends up hurting her." I prop my feet on his coffee table, crossing them at the ankle when I feel Niall whack me in the arm. "Ow!"

"You've got to stop thinking about the what ifs. You did that shit then, and see where that got you? You're still sitting here wondering what if aren't you?"

"No," I lie rubbing the spot on my arm that's sure to bruise.

"Yes you are." He points a finger at me, before grabbing his phone out and starting to type. "I'm texting Louis. He'll know how to get a hold of her."

"Ni, wait! I'm still not sure I should."

"Yes, you are. You're just scared, but I'm not letting that hold you back anymore, damn it."

I'm about to protest, but then I realize that he's right. I am afraid. Afraid she won't want to speak to me. Afraid that reaching out could cause her pain. Afraid that she's moved on and I'm too late. But I miss her terribly. As my lover, as my friend, and as one of the people who touched my life in a way no one else ever had.

"You won't believe this," Niall says, interrupting my thoughts. "Louis said the girls from Alpha Sigma Alpha all met up in Los Angeles this week for a girls' trip. He's asking Violet if Skye is for sure there." He looks up at me. "Did you know her and Louis are engaged now? Aw."

This time, I whack Niall. "Yes, I knew that. I sent him a candy basket to congratulate them. Now, what did he say?" I stare at his phone, mentally willing it to chime. My hand has found it's way to my palm tree tattoo, rubbing over the inked skin hopefully.

When his phone finally does chime, my whole body feels like it's vibrating. Niall turns to me and smiles wide. "She's there."

I shoot up off the couch, knowing then what I have to do.

*****

I'd never been to California before, but from the little I'd seen so far, I liked the feel of it. It's possible my opinion is slightly biased since I know this is where I'll finally see Skye again.

Louis had texted me, letting me know that Violet told him they had a reservation at some bar and eatery on La Cienega Boulevard at eight. I just hope I can get in without a reservation. I know one thing for sure, I'm not leaving until I speak to her.

Once seven thirty rolls around, I get dressed and call an Uber to take me to the bar. The sun has almost fully set and the lights of the city are starting to turn on, inviting the nightlife to commence. Palm Trees line the median on the streets passing by through the car window. I can't wait to get out an see them up close in the daylight when I have the time. Hopefully, with Skye. I haven't booked a return ticket home just yet, since I'm unsure of how long I'm staying or where I'm going when I leave.

When the Uber arrives at my destination, I get out, making my way into the pristine building. The inside is done entirely in wood and golden tones. The floors and ceiling are all wood. Soft yellow lights are hung up, dimly lighting the place. It looks like the kind of place I'm not posh enough to be in, but yet, not too overly done up that I feel out of place. I look around, trying to spot her, but between the tables for eating on one side, the couches with low tables for casual drinking and conversing, and the large bar the back middle, I don't know where to look first to find her.

A hostess greets me, and I'm not sure where to tell her I need to go. Taking a shot in the dark, I tell her I'm going to the bar and start heading that way. I can get a drink and nurse it while I search for Skye. As I make my way towards the back, I'm looking around, still hoping to catch a glimpse of her, or even Violet at this point who I know will point me in the right direction.

I get close to the bar and see the backside of girl as she hoists herself rather elegantly into the tall bar chair. She gathers her hair in her hands, bringing it behind her shoulders. That's when I notice it. This girl has a palm tree that looks identical to mine tattooed in the very same spot as mine.

My heart rate speeds up as I started walking closer. It can't be. But then again, who else can it be?

When I reach the bar, I take the seat beside the girl and glance over to take in her face. "Skye?"

Hazel eyes meet mine and so much flickers through her gaze. I don't know what she's thinking, but then she grins, soothing some of my concerns. She looks like the same girl I fell in love with, yet something is slightly different too. Her lips are painted in a pretty rosy lipstick. Her hair has a few subtle highlights in it. She looks more sure of herself. She also looks happy to see me.

"Harry? What are you doing here?"

I want to say so much, all at once, but I know I'll find the time for that.

"Hoping to grab a drink with you."

"I'd like that."

Raising a hand, I catch the bartender's attention. "Two Tequila Sunrises, please."