Chapter 3: Arrogance vs. Dedication

It's only been an hour since the two trainers parted ways. Tucker was at the Mauville Pokémon Center. He sat on the bench as he waited for his Pokémon to finish their checkup with Nurse Joy. He couldn't understand how he managed to screw up something as simple as getting to know a fan. After all, he was a superstar, both in Hoenn and Kanto. So why did he push her away of all fans..?

He breathed out a sigh, but was snapped out of his thoughts when he heard the Pokémon Center's jingle, indicating his Pokémon were finished with their checkup.

"Dome Ace Tucker?" Nurse Joy called, "Your Pokémon are all doing just fine. Healthy as always, sir."

"Ah, thank you, Ms. Joy." Tucker said, putting on a fake smile to hide his contemplation. He took his Pokeballs back from Nurse Joy and left the Pokémon Center ignoring the crowd of trainers who were shocked to see their regional hero appear at an average Pokémon Center.

What have I done..? Tucker asked himself, She probably hates you now, you big idiot.

Tucker continued to follow the path that led north of Mauville City, not really caring where he was going, completely lost in his taunting thoughts. Just then, the sound of a Pokémon's battle cry snapped him out of his trance as he rushed into the woods to check it out.

To his surprise, he found a bunch of Pokémon training together. A Crawdaunt, Breloom, Manectric, and an awfully familiar Latios and Latias.

"These are (Y/N)'s Pokémon," Tucker inquired, mumbling to himself, "But why are they training on their own..?"

Tucker glanced over at one of the nearby trees, noticing a vine dangling from the inside of the top. It was a rather big tree too, probably big enough to host a person inside.

Is this (Y/N)'s secret base..? Tucker thought.

"Swampert!!" a familiar cry snapped Tucker out of his thoughts as he was approached by (Y/N)'s beloved partner, Swampert.

"Why hello there," Tucker greeted, bending over a bit so he could pat Swampert on the head without looking overly intimidating, "Say, champ... Where's your trainer..?"

"Swamp!!" the Mudfish Pokémon responded by pointing at the tree that had a vine dangling from the inside of the top of the trunk, "Swampert!!"

"So that's her secret base..?" Tucker asked, when Swampert gave a frantic nod, "Hmm... Thank you, dear friend."

Tucker climbed up the vine, as undignified as it was, until he reached the top of the tree, where inside the leaves, (Y/N) had built her secret base. At her side, while she was looking through her PC, was a Tropius. Tucker had heard from Scott that the new Champion's Pokémon were all very strong, but he hadn't heard one word about her Tropius.

"Is that the Pokémon you used to create this Secret Base?" Tucker asked, catching (Y/N) and Tropius off guard.

"T-Tucker..?!" she shouted, "W-What are you doing here?!"

Tucker chuckled a bit at her adorable surprised expression, but then let out a quiet sigh as his expression changed from amused to concerned. "I came here because I heard the sound of Pokémon battling, but what I saw shocked me more than anything..." he explained.

"You... You saw them all training outside..?" (Y/N) asked, earning a slow nod from Tucker.

"Care to explain that..? I've never seen Pokémon train so hard on their own." he inquired.

(Y/N) got out of her chair and petted Tropius from the neck down comfortingly, to which the Grass/Flying Pokémon purred and nuzzled its trainer. Tucker smiled at this, it seemed as though all of (Y/N)'s Pokémon had this strong bond with her, even if she could only carry six of them with her at one moment.