Valarian

"I gave birth to a baby boy once, did you know that?" Mary asked, her fingers slipping in between the spaces between his. The carriage rocked them meticulously, the air sweet and thick and murky. She didn't look and him, but he stared at her.

"Of course, sister. Your letters portrayed the greatest pain of loosing your children, outliving them all." James Stewart said, his fingers calloused against the soft, thin and porcelain fingers of his sister and Queen.

"So sweet. So kind and loving and sweet, his eyes the prettiest shade of blue. I often wonder what he would be like now, my son. My sons, my daughters. Who would they be? What would they look like, when they looked at me for the very first time?" Mary sighed, subconsciously tightening her hand around her elder half brother's.

"Maybe you will know soon enough." James supplied. "With your husband returning from England, maybe you'll be lucky now."

"Lucky." Mary sighed. "I don't know who is lucky anymore. Am I? Granted, I rule France as her regent and my husband off to war, my own crown sits heavily on my head. I have power and I have wealth, but what I don't have-" she trailed, the other hand finding her red lips.

"Is the one thing you really want." James finished. Mary nodded.

"Indeed. With the war over and my husband home, Elizabeth no longer a threat with her surrender and naming me as heir, the trifecta of countries will look to me to have a son. It's been long enough, only the fact I have birthed children keeps my head upon my shoulders. And my countries faith in me."

"And you will have a child. A son, many son's. To be your family, Elizabeth isn't a threat any kore, she cannot harm them," the Earl said, in an attempt to comfort his little sister who seemed simultaneously so young and old. She was covered in black, gold embroidery and a black veil pushed against her straight onyx hair. She was troubled and afraid, so James spoke more. "all your other enemies long subdued. That's why we've left court, to see Francis in Callas."

Mary bit her lip.

"What is it? What is it about your husband that unnerves you so?" he asked.

"His child is nearly three, brother. He proves he can have children, a son. Each day that passes brings the sword closer to my neck. I have enemies still."

"You can have children too." he reminded. "All of Europe know how your children died, not because of you. His child has only aged that much because he has been gone two and a half years. No matter the animosity between you, he was fighting for you. You and our country. No matter his stupid actions, the man still loves you."

"I'm not sure if that matters, James." Mary finally looked at her half brother.

"It does to you."

That night, Mary made her way down to the chapel inside the large chateaux that she and the king would be staying in for a few days. He had been gone fighting for years, getting the vengeance on Elizabeth after she murdered Henri that he had so pined for. Afterwards, post their victory, he had sailed back to his homeland where his Queen awaited him. They had spent hours in their temporary lodgings, making love over and over until the blonde King finally found his sleep. Their reunion had been blissful, no thoughts of anything but each other. But now, it was different.

The veiled Queen knelt down at the alter, her hands pressed to her mouth and nose.

"My lady, full of grace, I pray you. I beseech you. For the love and humility that I bare for you and your son, Jesus Christ. I pray you, give me a child. A living son to fill my empty womb. A son to please my husband and King, my lord and master. A son to settle my countries and bring about a few age that bows down to you in all your mercy. I beg you, my lady. I beg."

~~

Heyy!

It's been a little while since I updated this little story. So how do you like it? Not giving up on this by any means, but got a little inspiration, so here it is!

This is loosely based on The Tudors scene where Queen Catherine begs for a son, post Henry Fitzroy's birth. I'm obsessed with the Tudors show and I couldn't believe I never added a nod to them, especially with this topic so here it is! Like it? Hate it? Comments please!

As most of you know, your girl is going away for a few days since my birthday's coming up and me and my best friend are going away for a few days. So this will be one of/the last updated before my brief hiatus. But I'll try my best to get an update of somethjng on thursday/friday time, since we won't be doing much those days. No promises, but I'll try!

Love you all!

C

:)