1.1

My chin itches. That was his main concern while chained to the dungeon walls and facing imminent death.

The cellar was dark and sullen. The worn-down bodies of other forgotten men were laid down dead all around him. Lucius was fully convinced that the bodies were brought there beforehand to intimidate him. He considered it a cheap trick. There were far better ways to break prisoners than to display the prospect of death.

"Well Francis, at least I don't smell as bad as you." The dead, limp body next to him didn't reply back to him. "Glad you agree."

The cellar door opened. Walking down the long steps of the stone castle were two women wearing long gowns. They were adorned in traditional priestess attires, sacred to the church and ceremonial for their roles as astrologers to the king. One of the girl's hair was tied back to a bun, puffed up red which cleared away any strands of hair from her emerald green eyes. The other girl's hair was tied back in a braided tail. Blonde and shimmering, her ocean blue eyes contrasted her sister's.

"You look glum, Lucius." The blonde-haired one had crossed her arms. Her name was Elijah, and she always had a special disdain for him whenever they met.

"Nonsense," Lucius said, "the sun was bothering my eyes for far too long. This abandoned darkness and the smell of impending death has been a pleasant change of scenery from my home."

Elijah squinted her eyes. Aurea spoke in a kinder tone, "the king won't forgive you this time."

"It was worth it," his teeth gleamed through his smile.

"They're going to castrate you."

"Still worth it."

Elijah walked up to him first. She made sure to kick at his stomach before loosening the chains. "Come on, heretic. Even brats deserve a fair trial."

XXX

Lucius was pushed to the ground without any remorse from the girls. He kneeled down at the presence of the king ahead of him. His raggedy clothes laid loosely atop of the carpeted silk floor beneath him. Chains weighed down his arms and feet. His pale palms felt the warmness of the ground beneath him. He was dressed as a peasant, more lowly than anyone else around him.

Looking up, the king stared down at him with a furious glare. Both their hairs were raven-colored, with bleak dark eyes facing one another. Whereas Lucius stared at the king with a wide smile and calm eyes, the king's whole face was contorted, eyebrows threshed together while glaring down at Lucius with a huffing frown.

"Pleasure to meet with you again, king Isaac." Lucius kneeled down and bowed his head down as a show of respect.

The king yelled forward, "don't utter my name you disgusting scoundrel."

Lucius didn't move his head up, "with all due respect sir, I meant no disrespect from my behavior."

Elijah kicked as his shin. "Stay silent, stray. The king wants your ear, not your tongue."

Lucius murmured something implicit beneath his breath. Elijah's eyes widened before taking a step back.

"What did he say?" Aurea asked quickly.

Elijah covered her reddening face. She whispered, "something imprudent. I'll tell you later."

Isaac raised up from the throne, "I ought to chop your head off for your sins! You are nothing but a low vile, repulsive skinned skung that's better off being wiped off the dirt of the land!"

Lucius' still smiled with his head down. Isaac said, "there's nothing I'd rather do than rip your skin off and make you wear it again."

Lucius' shoulders shrugged, not truly concerned by the words.