An Unwelcome Guest

The door crashed open and the blanket was snatched off of me.

I jumped off of the bed, instantly at ready in a fighting stance with the dagger from under the mattress sliding into my grip.

I glared at the intruder who woke me from a rarely peaceful sleep. She was a couple inches taller than me with the fakest blonde hair I have ever seen and wore skinny jeans and a black camisole top. Jade.

"What the fuck are you doing here, barging I'm on my room no less?" I exclaimed. "And how the hell did you even find this place?"

This girl was positively insane. Who the heck would be crazy enough to bring her here? To my underground.

She rolled her eyes and flipped a lock of hair over her shoulder. "Stop being so dramatic, I asked Kane and he took me here."

I stared at her. "You are the one who came barging in here like a whole fucking herd of cows."

I relaxed my stance but tightened my grip on the handle of my blade. I set a note for myself later to talk to Kane.

She rolled her eyes again. I swear, if she does that one more time, I'm going to make sure they stay that way. "Let's go, they want to hold a meeting for you or whatever." She grabbed
my arm and started to drag me out.

Anger grew like a seed in the center of my chest. I needed to deal with this before everyone under me thought I was weak, and before she thought that she could get away with always acting this way around me.

"Vahlhin, what should I do?" I asked my dragon.

His growl reverberated through my throat and escaped out of my gritted teeth. "Let me take over, I will deal with this."

My eyes turned their signature solid gold color as I relented control. Not even the whites of my eyes were left untouched and my pupils became slits.

My consciousness shifted to the side and became an observant to the new scene before me. I could feel everything that was happening and I could talk and reason with Valhin, but once I released control, I could not change the actions of my body, nor could I regain the lead until my dragon let me. I was just happy that I could trust him. There were cases where the human gave control and they never got it back.

I watched as my arm snatched itself from Jade's grip and my body moved to slam her into the wall, securing her hands behind her back.

"You do not order me around, and you most certainly will not barge in here, wake me up, and even attempt to drag me out of here. I will teach you a lesson, and you will learn it," my voice growled with the rumble and the accent from our ancestors it gained from being in control of a dragon.

At that, she was drug out of my bedroom and out into the compound which consisted of a large dining hall/indoor lawn area with indoor grown grass using artificial UV bulbs since dragons cannot live outside the sun's rays for an extended period of time. The bulbs help to keep the grass up, which aids in keeping our air fresh and to prolong how much time we can stay in without being forced outside by our need for sunlight.

I, of course, was the sole exception due to me being a Shadow Dragon. The opposite was actually true for me, too long of an exposure to the sun can cause great harm. I may become painfully crippled for a long time, but luckily I can't be killed by it. I learned that the hard way when I was younger.

Surrounding the indoor complex was the rooms that the residents of the compound lived in. It extended hundreds of miles underground and each floor was connected by an industrial elevator that went up to each walkway.

The entire top floor was owned by me since I was the leader of this organization. Some called it the mob, while others called it a gang or rebellion, but all who lived here knew what we were.

We call ourselves the League of Ancient Shadows and Undercover Reconnaissance, or simply, LASUR. In some circles, we are feared, in others we are praised and they rejoice our name, but one thing was for certain: we are who we make ourselves to be.

Valhin took her into the elevator and to the bottom floor where everyone waited for the meeting I didn't call for. They watched in fear and awe as the shadows danced around and were pulled toward me, attracted towards the shared anger of my dragon and I.

"KANE," he shouted through my mouth. The crowd quickly parted to reveal the man in question and my mouth set itself in a grim expression of anger.

He rolled his eyes at my actions and walked forward cockily, as if he owned the place. My anger only grew at his complacent attitude.

"Did you let this thing in?" I growled in question.

Jade scoffed at that and I snarled at her in response, instantly shutting her up.

"Yeah, I did. What about it," he huffed out.

My eyes narrowed. "When you were allowed to reside here, you swore to keep the location secret. You have broken the vow and therefore my trust," I announce for all to hear.

I shoved the girl at him and he caught her before she could land on the ground.

He scoffed. "I don't care about your trust.  I deserve to be here and without me, you would not have what you have today."

My lips finally turned down at that. I snapped my fingers and several men instantly came forward and grabbed both of them, pulling their hands behind their backs and using dragon skin cuffs, the only kind we couldn't break.

I waded through the crowd and jumped onto a nearby table, and they surrounded me, coming closer to be more able to hear what I had to say. It was not often that I was this angry or made such a public display.