Chapter 2- So Close but so Far Away

Well that was the cheesiest thing I've ever said. Was Willow's first thought as she flew up into her treehouse in the village. Although my heart is definitely in the right place. Now I have a piece of Sundew with me, even when we're not together. 

Willow curled up on the floor and lay awake thinking about the day she'd had. 

Her day at the SapWing village was unusually boring. Usually she had fun hanging out with her friends and helping Princess Hazel with her bookmaking. Now it all felt dull to her. On the contrary, the five or so minutes she'd spent with Sundew felt like heaven. 

Okay, that just sounds wrong. You just met her yesterday. Willow scolded herself. She tried clearing her mind to sleep. It didn't work. All she could THINK about was Sundew. 

But a new idea formed in her head. Willow + Sundew. Wildew!  Ughhhhhhhhhhh! STOP IT WILLOW! 

Willow's own words to Sundew rang in her head. "You don't have to do anything right this second. Just be here. Breathe."  She remembered how Sundew's breathing had slowed down and they had a connection moment. It was all Willow could think about. 

Willow, stop. You barely know her. Just be her best friend. 

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

The rest of the day went by in a blur. It was night time now and time for the only thing Willow looked forward to now. 

She crept out of her treehouse, past her sleeping father, and into the jungle. She waited by the pond, listening to the frogs "smirkety smirk" into the pond, and listening to the crickets chirp. 

A beautiful place for a first date....... ACK! STOP IT WILLOW!

The moon was high in the sky by the time Willow heard talonsteps. But there was only one thing. They didn't sound like Sundew's quiet "sneaking around in the jungle to see Willow" steps. These footsteps clearly belonged to a dragon who didn't really prioritize stealth. 

The dragon ran into the clearing. Willow felt her jaw drop and her eyes water. "Oak?" 

Oak was Willow's little brother, usually a feisty troublemaking dragonet. Except there was something different about him....... he had this deranged look in his eye. Willow had seen those eyes on her grandmother before....... Oak had eaten a manchineel.......

Manchineels were basically plants of death. They look like harmless edible berries, but eat them, and they will turn you insane and then kill you. Oak was in the insanity stage. And it seemed- the "WILLOW MUST DIE!" stage.

Oak must've sneaked out too. He went to the manchineel grove and thought the manchineels were berries.  Oak roared and leaped at Willow.

"Please!" cried Willow. "Snap out of it!" But it was no use. 

And that's when Oak was brought to the ground. The dragon on top of him? None other than Sundew!

"Please don't hurt him Sundew!" cried Willow. "He's my brother!"

Sundew considered that for a split second before shoving Oak into the pond. Then she wrapped her talon around his neck making sure not to choke him.

RRRRRRRRRRROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRR! Oak was out of the pond just as quickly as he was in. He leaped at Sundew claws extended.

"NO!" Willow lunged towards the fight. 

And then Oak was on the ground, dead. The manchineels did their work.

"Are you okay?" Sundew rushed towards Willow. Willow sank to the floor.

"My brother." She sobbed.

"I'm really sorry." Sundew wrapped her wings around Willow. With one hand she reached out. Tendrils of vines curled around Oak's decomposing corpse. Willow stared.

"You can control plants?"

"Yeah." said Sundew. "It's called leafspeak. Now come with me."

Sundew and Willow walked away from the pond carrying the corpse with them. Willow soon saw where Sundew was aiming for- a tree with bromeliads in it. After collecting some bromeliads, Sundew got a talonful of long vines. With those items and the corpse, they headed somewhere Willow had been before on many occasions- The Snarling River, close to the edge of the Poison Jungle.

Sundew tied the vines together to form a boat, and then she put the corpse and the bromeliads inside the boat. "Willow, will you do the honors?"

"I love you Oak." Willow whispered. Then she pushed the boat into the river where it would be swept off to someplace distant.

The two friends watched as Willow's brother traveled on the river. Willow turned to Sundew. "Thank you."

Sundew took a step closer. "No- AAAAAHHHHHH!" 

Sundew's talon caught on a root and she fell forward, causing Willow to fall too. A second later, they were on the ground- Sundew on top of Willow, their snouts pressed together.

If dragons could blush, Willow would be red- horns to tail. But just as quickly as the accidental kiss started, it ended.

"I'm so sorry!" cried Sundew pulling away and standing up. "Are you okay?"

"Yeah........." Willow was in a daze. "Should we um go back to the pond?"

"Yeah!" Sundew started walking. 

Willow didn't acknowledge to herself that her talons hurt from walking. She could stand the pain for Sundew. The two of them walked back to the pond in silence, their talons about 1 centimeter away from each other. Willow didn't know why, but she chose to keep it that way.

A/N- FINALLY THE JUICY PARTS! Eh um, that sounded wrong. Anyway, I learned in school not to rush the story too much, and I tried. I really really tried. I think I succeeded? Thank you to everyone who reads this book (or any of my books for that matter) And all I can say is that the next chapter may not come out as quick as this chapter! Bye guys!

PS- The art on this chapter is drawn by me. 

Word count- 937