Green Pastures

The rain stopped before Alma and Bailey got onto the bus. The young Hispanic didn't notice her friend look over his shoulder as if something was bothering him. She did however notice when someone snapped at Bailey for not moving. He followed her onto the bus this time allowing her to take the window seat but still slouched down in the seat.

"What is bothering you? You've been moody all day." Alma caught a flash of red hair and frowned, her hand touching the window. "Chloe and Zoey don't go to our school."

"Why would you bring that up?" Bailey's hands went into his pockets.

"I saw a girl with red hair."

"Her..." The boy sunk farther into the seat, his tone of voice strained.

"You know her?" Alma blinked a couple of times. The boy remained silent. "Bailey..."

"This girl's been bothering me at school." Bailey closed his eyes and let out a deep breath.

"Bothering you how? Is she calling you names or something?"

"I wish it was that. I'd rather not talk about it."

"This isn't what has been bothering you?" Alma frowned, sitting up so she could pay more attention to her friend.

Bailey remained silent for awhile longer. "Yes..."

"Then be honest with me. Don't think I'll let it go."

"She..." There came another pause." She says that boyfriends and girlfriends let each other copying each other." There came another pause. "And no. We're not dating. I'd take Zoey or Chloe over her any day. Just... don't tell them that."

"Is this why hating school so much?"

"Yes. Can we stop talking about it? At least I don't have to think about her at Horseland."

M

They moved the horses out of their stalls when the other students arrived, taking them to the pasture near the barn. Alma began to scoop out Button's stall with great gusto while Bailey slowly worked on cleaning out Aztec's stall. Sarah looked up at her, smiling as she did so. "You seem to be in a good mood today Alma."

"Yes... well, the sooner that we get the chores done and exercise the horses the sooner we can go ahead and start planning for Saturday."

"What's Satrday?" Molly raised her eyebrow, a smile spreading on her face.

Chloe rolled her eyes. "It's Saint Patrick's Day."

Zoey frowned. "We're already cleaning up the stalls every day. Isn't that enough work."

Molly began to haul clean hay into Calypso's stall. "I've never celebrated Saint Patty's day beyond wearing green. Not sure what do do. Where does the whole tradition for pinching people come from?"

"The story is that leprechauns won't pinch you if you're wearing green." Alma finished what she was doing and headed out to brush down Buttons.

Bailey let out a sigh. "Not again."

It was then that Will came into the barn. "You're still not liking the idea of celebrating Saint Patty's day with everyone else Bailey?"

"I'm just not in the mood. Plus... we have midterms."

The blond haired teen let out a sigh. "It's not as bad as you think."

"Yeah... well, shows what you know."

"Yeah. Green is a nasty color." Chloe rolled her eyes. "I wouldn't be stuck wearing it, nor would Chili."

"Yes... well... that means that you're going to get pinched on Saturday. I'll talk to my aunt and see if she can't make some traditional Irish food for everybody. I'm guessing you guys have midterms as well, so don't you think it would be nice to do something after they're done?"

Molly smiled. "Yeah... it would be nice to celebrate that we're done with midterms for the spring semester. It will also be fun learning about the holiday too kind of like we did with other holidays. Isn't there going to be a parade that day?"

Zoey took a deep breath. "Chances are Alma's already signed us up for it, which means we're going to have to wear green as well."

Will let out a laugh. "Yes... we're already signed up, but it wasn't Alma who did it but my aunt and uncle. You need to be sure to wear green and we'll be up early in the morning. Most of all I want you guys to remember to have fun. That includes you Bailey."

"Exactly what is that supposed to mean?" The younger boy glared at the older boy.

"I've noticed that you've been moody of late. Come on. It really can't be that bad can it?"

Bailey let out a sigh, rolling his eyes as he did so.

M

The horses watched as the children cleaned up the stalls. Aztec moved to the side in a rather nervous manner. "Bailey hasn't been acting like his usual self lately."

"That's what you're worried about?" Chili grumbled, stomping his foot on the ground.

"While I wouldn't look bad in green I just know that everything is going to be tacky."

Buttons let out a sigh. "I think the fact Bailey isn't in the mood for celebrating is more of a concern then the fact the decorations will be tacky. I'm quite sure that Alma wouldn't make them look tacky."

Scarlet shook her head. "Yes. Bailey has in case you haven't noticed been spending more time out in the barn around us horses."

Chili snorted through his nose. "Isn't that his job? I mean, isn't it a good ting that he is spending more time doing his job?"

Aztec did the same action. "Now see here. There is doing your job and being obsessive compulsive about the job, or going so slow it takes time to get it done. Something is wrong."

"It's to bad we can't ask Bailey what the matter is," Calypso piped up.

Pepper rolled her eyes. "Sorry... but how could we horses help the human even if we could ask? We can't even help with the preparations for this Saint Pat... what ever... Day."

"I say let the humans take care of the problems themselves." Chili snorted through his nose.