Chapter 7

Emin walked proudly through the hall in the armour of Laurel, knight of the kingdom of Ramoon. They had been victorious in the final battle of the campaign, and he had managed to trace the stronghold of the 'platypus aliens' that Jasper had described who were known as the Zarens. There had been many tricks on the battlefield: Emin had cast spells and laid glamours over his foes, and had flown from one place to another in the form of his totem raven. It served them right for being led so easily into an unnecessary war.

The King he had just defeated, Moraz, would never have admitted while he ruled that a race from another world was the power behind him. But now he had grudgingly confessed it, and had arranged for Knight Laurel to meet them to discuss terms.

"You know they betrayed you?" Emin had declared, when he cornered Moraz in one of the lofty rooms. Outside his men were sacking the castle.

"Never", Moraz said. "They fought for me to the end." His hand fluttered towards a weapon like a scimitar which he carried in his belt. He wanted to draw it but Knight Laurel's sword, the same one Jasper had originally been given, was thrust in front of him and he dared not move.

"The two Dukes who I serve had no real quarrel with your kingdom," Emin said. "It was a minor matter; it wouldn't have escalated. I have intelligence that your allies the Zarens were the ones who engineered my mission- they wanted me to defeat you. Traitors."

Moraz glared at him, still not believing it.

"I'm not going to kill you; you can serve my Dukes in Ramoon. Try and be their friend and perhaps they will come to realise this war was over a trifle. It was staged, and I hate people who manipulate rulers like that. Now, arrange for me to meet these Zarens before I take you home as my prisoner."

As he approached the conference room Emin reached out mentally and reinforced the illusion he had already cast over the alien beings that he was Jasper and he was on their side. He tightened his auric shields and held his mind still on one point. It appeared that the Zarens could not tell the difference between a wizard such as himself and one at Jasper's stage of development, and that could be his biggest advantage.

When he entered the room there were six of them lounging on the wooden chairs, their flippers hanging incongruously over the seat cushions. There was a slight smell different from human flesh, and their gaze held him more strongly than that of a human. The one in the middle appeared to be the leader; he narrowed his eyes and said, "You've settled down, I see. Well done for your victory. But I'm sure you can see how much better it would be for us if you didn't retain those awkward memories from before you came here."

"They've faded now," Emin said placidly. "Mostly all I remember now is my loyalty to the Dukes of Ramoon- and you of course. But I'm puzzled, because Moraz said you were his ally."

"He's a liar," barked the Zaren leader. "We never were. We wanted his capital city because he was ruling it like a moron, and we want to make it into a paradise so that your people can share in it and benefit. There will be beautiful palaces, sumptuous feasts, silks and jewels and furs; and there will be women. We are going to place many young women here who will perform shows, and give pleasure to the men who win victories in our wars. The first group of women will be here any day- we just have to build their house. The construction of Paradise City starts today. We are going to move out the few inhabitants who remain and keep only the builders here working on it."

One of the other creatures took up the story. "We plan to conquer as many of the surrounding territories as we can. It will all be in the name of Ramoon which will soon have the most impressive empire this world has ever seen. You will be our champion and next in rank below you will be the armies of Ramoon – we'll make sure you are always victorious."