Darkness

June 21stWilly,       I was delighted to hear that you'd be coming all this way to spend the fall in my neck of the woods

                                    June 21st
Willy,
       I was delighted to hear that you'd be coming all this way to spend the fall in my neck of the woods. I know that you'll like it here...it's so different from your home turf. As a city-boy, you'll probably be bored at first, but once you get into the rhythm of this nature-rich land, I'm sure you'll be more than satisfied with your time here. I know you don't hunt, but the fishing is great (lake and stream). Ever since I moved here after leaving the service, I've become more and more enamored of the quiet life. It's great for my writing and my hobbies, though it does get lonely at times.

       Do you remember when we went panning for gold when we came stateside for our leave after all that shit went down in Zabul? I hope you still enjoy a little treasure hunting. There actually is gold in dem dar hills and over the course of the last few years I've actually found some (albeit barely enough to cover my prospecting supplies).

     I'd also like to take you mushroom gathering. We'll get a little high and go searching. At this pastime I have been far more successful than my gold-seeking. There are a great number of delicious fungi to be found and it always makes for a pleasant day. As a matter of fact, if the rain comes as planned this week, I'll be making my first trek out this weekend to gather chanterelles (my favorite). I'll let you know how it goes.

       The cabin is ready for your arrival. It's a pretty big place and you'll have a nice big room. You'll be happy to know I am not a complete luddite and have both satellite TV and internet access, so you can stay in touch with all your stressed-out friends.

       I don't think too much about the war anymore, but I still get the bad dreams once in a while. I'm glad you are my first guest, having shared that horrible experience with me. What the hell were we thinking when we signed up? Adventure and travel? Were we really that young and stupid? I much prefer being older and stupid...and a million miles away from people trying to kill me...did I mention the bears? Just kidding, they only eat children and tourists from the West Coast, so you are safe.
I write again soon.

Your messed up almost brother,
Riley

                                    June 29
Will,
        My sister told me she contacted you. Sorry. She means well, but she's convinced that I'm nuts. She can't understand why I am playing "hermit", as she puts it. Dina watches way too much TV and is convinced I'm suffering from late onset PTSD, and that I am somehow banishing myself from life. She says I should jump in and rejoin civilization, but it needs to be a lifestyle she approves of.

I'm sure you heard some version of this narrative and I'm sure you were discreet and simply made affirmative grunting sounds where appropriate. Again, sorry to put you through that. Let me assure you, I may well be nuts, but it's a "leprechauns are stealing my shoes" nuts, rather than a "I wonder what human flesh tastes like" nuts, so you should be fine...as long as you don't dress like a clown...that would really freak me out.