Chapter One

Amora Forbes combed through her perfectly straight blonde hair for the millionth time. She hoped the hair that draped off her head would feel the wrath of static or grease if she brushed long enough. But alas, the hair was silky smooth and she, as always, was frustrated.

She supposed her first day would be the same as usual. Boys would whistle her way, girls would glare at her, and her friends would feed off of her so called perfection.

Her grandmother Ivy yelled up the stairs, drawing her attention away from the large mirror.

"Amora Forbes, you're going to be late!"

Tears threatened to prick at Amora's eyes, but she held them under control. She couldn't even be late. For once, she wanted things to not go to plan.

"Amora!"

Her grandmother is persistent, Amora had to admit that.

Grabbing her backpack she tossed her arms through it and walked downstairs. Her grandmother was waiting not-so-patiently with crossed arms, while tapping her foot to no particular beat.

"Sorry gran," Adora pecked her grandmother's old and sagging cheek and beelined it for the door.

"What are you wearing Amora?"

She shut the door behind her and jogged to her friend's car that was parked on the street. She knew her grandma would make her go upstairs and change if she let her get a word in.

The front door opened again as Amora swung her leg into the old green Cadillac Coupe DeVille and her grandmother yelled out, exasperated.

"At least eat something first!"

"I'll grab something on the way, I promise," Amora yelled out the window as the vehicle started driving away. "I love you!"

She finally settled in her seat and turned to see the closest thing she had to a friend.

Susan Whittle drove her car with one hand on the top of the wheel, not caring much for the traffic in front of her.

"You look good, as always," she smirked at Amora.

Amora smiled back. No one ever knew it was forced.

"So do you Susan. How was Spain?"

Susan threw her head back with laughter. It was almost mocking, and Amora did not miss it.

"It was wonderful. I had lots of large God-like men swooning all over me. Vying for my attention, if you will," she grinned with an evil glint in her eye.

Amora knew she was jealous of her. She always wanted to tell her not to be. With beauty came eternal sadness for Amora.

It seemed like Susan fell in love once a week. Amora thought love was a myth. Or all together just bullshit.

How could someone fall in and out of love so fast if it was this all encompassing feeling?

Susan talked about other things that never truly mattered to Amora while on their journey to school.

Boys, grades, and partying. Susan was already trying to pick her brain on what she was going to wear to the annual first day of school party.

She never understood the point of getting drunk on the first day back to school. Why would anyone want to feel like shit the next day at school?

Her other friend awaited their arrival in the parking lot of Sir Jameson High School. Lisa was much more tolerable than Susan, but sadly her parents didn't let her do much.