in the crowd, alone

| T r o y e ' s P O V |

The buzzing specks of color across the bleachers erupt in a series of cheers as the soccer ball is shot in to the goal. It's no surprise my brother was the source of the point, he usually was. I'm sure if you listened to the coach during the pre-game talk in the locker room, his words would probably be, "Pass to Mellet, and he'll take it from there." You'd think it was impossible to be sitting at this very moment. Even if you didn't know what was happening, the cheery atmosphere would surely bring you to your feet.

Yet here I am, butt planted firmly on the freezing cold benches. My hands were shoved into my jean pockets, while I continues to regret my choice to wear a sweater with no pockets. It'd probably give me more warmth than the pockets of my skinny jeans. Another mistake; this pair of pants had holes in the knees and a couple up my thigh on one leg. I look up to see Tyde's eyes on me, almost expectantly.

Shit. He caught me in my thoughts again. It's not like I don't love him, I do, but this was the fifth game he'd dragged me to this season. At least it was the last one, and it wasn't raining. I give a lopsided smile to Tyde, even throwing a small wave in his direction. He gives me the same grin, and I can't help but feel like I'm looking in the mirror, before he breaks eye contact and returns to his soccer game. Sitting alone at a busy soccer game packed with hormone-raging teenagers was not how my last Saturday night before school should be spent. I should be curled up in my room, wrapped in a blanket, writing music or listening to it. I'm sure Tyde is looking forwards to it; he'll be able to see his friends all day for five days a week. Sure, the competition soccer season comes to an end with the start of school, but as soon as the leaves start to change color in October the school's soccer season starts.

I was, however, dreading it. A building full of people aged about thirteen to nineteen all trying to outdo someone. Whether it be themselves or some kid they met in third grade, everyone wants to beat someone's to something. Even though I would never, ever admit it, the person I wanted to outshine most would have to be Tyde. Speaking of Tyde, I advert my eyes from their focused point at who knows what, scanning the field. When my eyes land on the blue jersey with number fourteen printed on the back I sighed softly, glancing at the clock across the stadium. I could make it several more minutes...right? My thoughts were interrupted as a pair of hands found my shoulders, making me jump. As soon as it escaped my lips, I struggled to cover my mouth in order to prevent the girlish shriek I was sure to be making.

A skirt of dirty blonde hair flew into my vision and I visibly relaxed with a heavy huff. "Fuck you, Sage, was that really necessary?" I scold sourly, watching as she smoothly climbed over the metal bench. Narrowing my eyes at her, I pull my phone out and check the time, just to emphasize my point. "You're late. Tyde told you to be here at the start of the game." I tease, watching as she focused her eyes on the game.

"Shut up Troye, I'm sure he won't notice." She mumbles, distractedly, as another goal is made by the man himself. Sage shoots up with everyone else, cheering his name, while I keep my self rooted firmly on the bench. Sisters and their ridiculous excitement.

"At least I actually come to support him. What did he have to bribe you with this time for us to be blessed with your presence?" She taunts, almost as if it was an after-thought, raising her eyebrows at me as she sits back on the bench again.

I look away briefly, rolling my eyes. "He's promised I don't have to attend any of the school games." I mumble, chuckling slightly as Sage starts to laugh at me. I had to admit, it was easy to get along with Sage no matter who you were.

Being the only girl out of my siblings, I was surprised she even made an effort to hang out with all of us boys. Sometimes she'd sit in my room with me for hours, not speaking a word, just to be with me. Out of Steele, my older brother, Tyde and I, she probably dreaded the times she came into my room most. Steele took her out most of the time, a benefit of him being in college and having a lot of free time (not that I didn't have free time, I just like to spend it in my room). Whenever Tyde talks about what they do together, he's very vague and she swears she can't say what they did. Secrets are probably one of the things I hate the most. That fact alone made the two of them keep secrets from me all the time. It's very frustrating, and makes me want to smack them upside the head.