nothing but time to kill

| T y l e r ' s P O V |

The rest of my night should have been spent sleeping, yes, but putting the finishing touches on my room and talking to my mom a bit sounded so much better. The last time I glanced at my phone it was nearly one in the morning, and that was at least an hour ago.

"Hand me that hammer," I mumble distractedly, holding my hand behind me. I heard a sigh, followed by shuffling and the cold metal was thrust into my hands. I shift my balance carefully on the ladder, putting the nail where I want it and slowly hammering it in.

I definitely was not made out for this. However, It's not like my mom was going to do it, I was lucky she even offered to help. Though, as soon as she gave me the offer, I had a sneaking suspicion it was to get information of today's events from me. She wasn't talking much, except for the occasional advice she gave me when I asked which spot looked better for my various bedroom decor.

"So Tyler," She starts, her voice slow. I'm sure by now she knew that she didn't have to try too hard to get me to talk about boys. Her calm voice made her intentions very, very clear. I turned to her, raising an eyebrow. I knew what she wanted. I just wanted to hear her say it. "Make any friends?" I throw my head back and laugh, shaking my head in disbelief. How dare she avoid the question she actually wanted to ask.

"Actually, I did meet a girl named Zoella. She's a senior too, so she'll go to school with me." I pause, climbing down the ladder to retrieve a picture frame from my desk. I then clamber back up, hanging the large picture frame on the hook; making sure it's not crooked before turning to glance at my mom sheepishly. The glint in her eyes demanded for more. I cover it up quickly with a smirk, picturing his high-pitch shriek and the way he marveled at the soccer players.

"There was this boy, and he was simply adorable." At this, she grinned, a smile that spread ear-to-ear. I can't remember the last time I talked about a cute guy to my mom (one that I was actually serious about, we talk about guys all the time,) and I was glad to be talking to her about him. "He's taller than I am," I earned a snicker from my mom, whom I gave a pointed glare at for mocking my height before continuing. "Kinda pale, crystal blue eyes. He likes One Direction, like a lot, at least, he was singing it in his car." I ring my fingers together in front of my chest, fiddling them together distractedly, sighing contently to express how cute he really was.

Once I was back on the ground, I started to move around my room to continue my decorative groove. Ironic how much I'm motivated in the middle of the night as opposed to the daytime. I could tell my mom would probably go to bed in the very near future, she wasn't much of a night owl like I was.

"That's great, Tyler, it's good to know you're noticing boys in real life again." She teases, gesturing to the board on the wall with different celebrities tacked on it. I laugh briefly, before shooing her out of my room.

"You got the dirt, you made fun of my men on my vision boards, now it's time for you to go to bed." I command her as she rolls her eyes and sulks out of my room, shutting my door softly behind her.

Two hours later, eyes peeled open from the caffeine surging through my body, I had finished my room. Everything except for my closet was sorted through, and I knew it was what I was avoiding. Going through my clothes not only meant retreating into the stuffy, cramped closet for at least two hours, it also meant sorting through everything to find the clothes that work with my current hair color. After all; my wardrobe ranged in many different colors and some of them just did not work with this shade of blue. In two weeks, I'd probably be resorting everything again, because pastel blue is different than electric blue.

Look at me, getting worked up over a closet arrangement. Coming out of the closet was so simple, why does going back in have to be something so dreadful? I throw my head back and laugh at myself, trying to silence my cackle with my hand. If my mom came back in my room because I was too loud I'd probably be in trouble. Despite the caffeine in my blood, I flicked my light switch off and stumbled to my bed. Getting used to my new room would take awhile I guess. With a satisfied sigh, I tuck myself into the large bed, engulfing myself in the layers of blankets I unpacked earlier that morning. They still smelt like my old house, past experiences, and I knew by the end of the week they'd probably smell strongly of my cologne and shampoo.