Chapter Three

Mikasa sang with great joy losing herself in the cadence. Her stew cooked on the stove which looked like it had never been used before and she sang while she added veggies and meat to the broth. A home cooked meal was just what her first night in a new home needed. Mikasa sang song after song as the smell of their dinner filled the compact apartment. She smiled already tasting the thick broth on her tongue. She sighed, hoping she wasnt the only who would enjoy it. Annie had slammed her door and Mikasa knew shed crossed a line but she felt some kind of responsibility for the girl. She didnt want to see her suffer. The buzzer rang in her ears and she turned off the stove stew rady to be eaten. Pulling out two bowls she made one for each of them carefull to give Annie more than herself. The aroma floated through the house creeping into Annie's room but didnt stir the blonde from her first peaceful sleep in ages. Her dreams were filled with tender kisses and gently hugs. Cuddling on the couch as snow fell outside. A smile played on her lips and she snuggled into her jacket fast asleep. Mikasa knocked on the door softly hoping that Annie wasnt mad. No answer from beyond the door. She pushed it open to find Annie asleep on the other side side of the door. Her breathing was light and a smile graced her usually stern face. Mikasa picked her up, not wishing to leave her on the floor. Annie shifted in her arms moving to snuggle against her. Mikasa's cheeks turned a light shade of pink and she set Annie down gently. The sleeping girl didnt stir but a small plush found its way into her grasp and she held it tightly. The plush was an adorable chibi of the red scarfed girl. Mikasa smiled and watched her roommate sleep peacfully. She felt that pit in her stomach growing again. Standing quickly she left the room. Not now, she thought pressing down the feeling despretely. You barely know the girl. Sighing Mikasa returned to the kitchen and quickly savedthew stew not wanting it to go to waste. Maybe tommorrow she could enjoy it with Annie.

....

Annie rubbed her eyes dazed for a few moments as light poured through her window. She blinked and looked around her disaster of a room suddenly relizing shed been moved from the floor. She hugged her plush to her chest and got up slowly stretching the stiffness from her body. The smell of cooking bacon caught her attention. Her stomach growled loudly and Annie went to investigate. Mikasa stood in the kitchen, her red underwear and white tank top fitting her goregous frame pefectly. Annie squeaked a little and pinched her arm not sure if she was really awake. The pain registered and she blushed a little. "Mikasa?" Mikasa glanced over her shoilder seeing the dazed blonde still in her hoodie and pants from yesterday. "Perfect timing sleepy head! I made breakfast. Its not much but here." She offered Annie a plate of bacon and eggs. Taking it from her she ate hungrily having never tasted something so good. Mikasa picked at her food watching Annie eat. Annie's eyes met hers and the normal sadness in her blue eyes wasnt to be seen. "Mikasa, you said last night that you got kicked out of your last apartment because of your... Tastes. Can I ask what your type is?" Mikasa's heart skipped a beat. She was worried now. Eren had slapped her when she told him. She didnt know what to expect with Annie. She frowned and stared at her plate for a long time. Annie stared at her studying her face. "Mikasa.."
Mikasa looked up putting on a her best fake smile. "Its nothing Annie."
'I just love girls... but mostly I love you...' Annie saw that look in her eyes, the same she saw when she loiked in the mirror. Mikasa finished eating quickly and went to unpack her last box using it as an excuse to flee the room. She shut the door quietly hands shaking. 'Stop this Mikasa you barely know her.' She scoulded herself. Mikasa sat on the floor of the small room, feeling unbelievably weak and helpless. Tear formed in her hazel eyes. Love was a bitch and the bitch came back. It always did. First with Sasha now with Annie... Mikasa's heart ached and she wept. Annie knocked on her door gently. "Mikasa... If yiu cant talk abiut it its fine." Silence from the other side of the door. "How about I tell you a story? This story is about a girl... a girl with a red scarf."
Annie shut her eyes. She had never told anyone this story. The dream was her secret and the inly reason she drew the girl. "Once upon a time a black hair girl lived within the walls of a great city. Monsters were never something she worried about. She was strong and brave and most of all kind. Now this girl had a friend. A really close friend. She was blonde and stubborn but the girl with the red scarf didnt care... " Annie spun her tale of the two girls. She lost herself in the details of the dream. Mikasa listened as she spoke, her voice quite and gently. Annie leaned against the door sinking to the floor on the outside. "and though the blonde never got the chance to say it, she loved the red scarfed girl." Annie sat outside the door, holding her breath. "M-mikasa...." The door sprung open and Mikasa had her arms around Annie's neck. "Youre a good story teller...."