Merlin Remembers

The memories came when I started watching Merlin. They didn't ever stop. I couldn't explain them. They just showed up. Let's back up and begin when they did.

"Hey, Faith. Let's watch this. It looks interesting," I said, stopping in my scrolling and pressing the enter button to see the first episode, "The Dragon's Call". I felt a tickling in the back of my mind and shrugged it aside. At the first words, I froze.

[No young man, no matter how great, can know his destiny. He cannot glimpse his part in the great story that is about to unfold. Like everyone, he must live and learn. And so it will be for the young warlock arriving at the gates of Camelot. A boy that will, in time, father the legend. His name: Merlin.]

The episode was, to say the least, very interesting. I laughed here and there, but one thought remained in my mind. Why the heck am I feeling a sense of Deja Vu? That night, I had a dream of Merlin, much of which I hadn't yet seen. All of it was seen through the perspective of Merlin. My alarm suddenly broke through the dream and I groaned shutting it off.

"That was a strange dream," I muttered to myself, shrugging it off as I got out of bed. I got ready and went upstairs. After all, it wouldn't do to be late for the first day of high school. My family moved to London a just yesterday and boy was I excited for school. The school I would go to was called Avalon High and it had an actual body of water in the courtyard. I smiled as I got ready, eager to meet new people. Of course I miss my friends back home, specifically Will, but this was a whole new opportunity for my mom, Faith and me.

"Faith! Wake up! It's time for school!" I shouted as I burst into her room. She jolted awake.

"Goodness, Melissa. Don't do that," she said, falling back onto her bed.

"Well get ready. We'll leave soon," I said, leaving the room and shutting the door behind me. I went downstairs and ate breakfast, packing my lunch afterwards. Faith came down the stairs and we headed to school together. When we approached the school, I gasped. It looked like a castle from the olden days, with turrets and everything. It looked amazing. In fact, it looked a bit like Camelot.

"It's amazing..." I muttered as Faith kept walking.

"You coming, Melissa?" she asked, turning to face me.

"Yeah..." I replied, following her to the castle. Just in the courtyard, a blonde boy, that looked surprisingly like Arthur, was laughing with his buddies. I sighed, walking past the group and heading to my first period, which was health. When I got there, there was a man with grey hair standing at the front of the room.

"Hello," I looked at my schedule, "Mr Hunink?"

"Hello. You must be Melissa Emerson," he said, and I nodded.

"Take a seat. Anywhere is fine," he said to the people just coming in. I took a seat towards the front. I already loved this school. It looked so much like Camelot. I began daydreaming in the middle of class, daydreaming about Arthur and Camelot. Most of which were unseen episodes of Merlin and seen through his perspective. The bell rang, knocking me out of my dreaming. I grabbed my stuff and hurried out, looking over my schedule.

Weapons training? Why do we need weapons training? I thought to myself. Someone knocked into me suddenly and knocked my stuff out of my hands.

"Hey! Watch where you're going!" I shouted at them, bending over to pick up my stuff.

"I'm sorry! Let me help you with that," she said, "I'm Georgia, by the way. What's your name?"

"Melissa. Thanks for helping me. Sorry I yelled at you," I said, smiling sheepishly at her.

"It's alright. Where did you move from?"

"Ireland."

"You're Irish? That's so cool!"

"Thanks. Well I'd better go. I've got weapons training next. If you don't mind my asking, why do we have weapons training?" I asked, puzzled at my schedule.

"I don't know. Watch out for Alex. He's brutal with any weapon you fight him with."

"Thanks for the heads-up," I said, before running off towards the courtyard. Within the courtyard stood the blonde from before that was laughing with his buddies. This time, however, there was the T. A. that was running around with a target on his arm with the boy throwing knives at it. The target fell and I put my foot on it.

"Hey. Come on, that's enough," I said.

"What?" the boy, I would guess Alex, said.

"You've had your fun my friend," I replied.

"Do I know you?"

"I'm Melissa," I replied, extending my hand.

"So, I don't know you."

"No."

"Yet you called me friend."

"That was my mistake," I said out loud.

"Yes, I think so," he said, a confused look crossing his face for only a second.

"Yeah. I'd never had a friend who could be such a prat," I said turning to walk away.

"Or I one who could be so stupid," he stated. I didn't stop in my walking.

"Don't run away!"

Here I stopped. "From you?"

He sighed in mock relief, "I thought you'd gone deaf as well as dumb."

"Look, I told you you're a prat. What else is there to say?" I asked, turning. I looked to the two people flanking him.

"Oh, what are you going to do? Got your friends to protect you?"

He laughed slightly. "I could take you apart with one blow."

"I could take you apart with less than that," I said.

"Come on then!" he shouted, gathering the attention of the rest of the class. I looked around and regretted my decision.

"Come on!" Alex taunted. I sighed at aimed a punch at his face. He grabbed my fist and pushed me to the floor. The crowd laughed and I got up, running to the bathroom. I ran past the instructor on the way and she looked where I'd gone in confusion before shaking her head. When I reached the bathroom, I collapsed near the door and set my head against the wall. I felt a sudden pain in my head and cried out in pain. Memories suddenly burst into my head and intense pain followed. I saw a dragon, a beautiful girl, a blonde prince, a knight walking into a rift with one last smile over his shoulder.

"Arthur is the Once and Future King who will unite the land of Albion," I heard a voice echo in my head and fade.

"Without you, Arthur will never succeed. Without you, there will be no Albion," the voice said again, fading to the background.

"None of us can choose our destiny, Merlin, and none of us can escape it," the voice said clearer this time, showing a dragon looking right at me. My eyes suddenly opened, glowing gold for a second. I blinked several times, rubbing my temples.

"Well, that's one way to spend my day," I muttered to myself.