Ghostie

this is the prologue of another unfinished and probably-will-never-be-published shawn fic i wrote from years ago. i revised it to make a short story (with big time jumps) for the second person.

~ ~ ~

Toronto seemed like the best city to visit tonight. It had the lively lights in the buildings with carefree people on the streets. There's always a busking group of musicians in the square, filling the city with the summer atmosphere of their songs. And as the sun was about to set, the night only grew more thrilling.

But that was not what you're looking for.

In the small town of Pickering, you found yourself wandering. The skies above were painted blue and violet, with small streaks of yellow passing through transient clouds. Streetlights started to light up the streets as your phantom figure flew by.

Changing into human form but still transparent like the wind, you started walking on the streets. Later on, you stumbled upon a house with cute little shrubs in the front lawn. You were about to continue walking when you heard music coming from the house across the road.

You listened curiously to the shy guitar strumming and plucking. You flew to the second-floor window to see who was making it.

There was a boy, around the age of fifteen, with a guitar in hand. He stood in front of the camera singing a song, and he was great in it. Even as a ghost, you could sense the passion of his own love for music radiating outside the room. He even closed his eyes when he hits a  high note.

"This kid is amazing," you said, resting your hands on the window sill and swaying your head to the music. "He'll go far with this talent."

After two minutes, the boy ended the song with a soft strum. He smiled and said thank you to the camera, stopping the record.

You clapped outside the room, even though he couldn't hear you. No one else can. You're a ghost. The slightest thing you could do is make a person feel cold or be the mysterious breeze that startles people.

"Looking forward to hearing more from you, bud," you said, knocking on his window before flying somewhere else.

. . .

Shawn turned around to face his bedroom window. He peeked outside and saw that it was sunset already. Scratching his head, he went to his computer to edit the cover he just made. He swore, however, that he heard someone knocking on the glass and the cold feeling when he stood there.

. . .

Three years later, you kept to your promise.

You shouted the lyrics back along with the rest of the crowd. Bright lights moved around the whole arena, in sync with the pop and rock music of the one and only Shawn Mendes. He did grew up to be more talented as an artist but still humble as that fifteen-year-old kid you listened to.

The concert ended after two and a half hours. Fans were heartbrokenly leaving through the doors, you were among them.

"Yeah, it was nice meeting you too!" One fan said to you, grinning.

"Have a safe trip home, D," you bid them. When they finally left, you let out an exhausted sigh. You had to be in solid human form for the whole concert and it took a lot of supernatural energy. But now with no one around, you can turn back to your phantom figure.

You flew around the empty concert hall, now bright and full of confetti. You passed through the rooms where the catering took place. You recognized Shawn's manager and friend, Andrew, his bodyguard and the rest of the band. However, Shawn was no where in sight.

You found him in his room after you passed through the door like it was only a curtain. The room was in a mess, the pillows on the couch were pulled inside out. Shawn was muttering under his breath about searching for his capo.

You helped him find it, basically going through cabinets and drawers. Finally you found it behind one. You made it ghostly like you so you can just pull it out the cabinet. When you turned around to face Shawn, he was looking at you.

Not looking through you like a normal human being, but looking at you like he can see you.

And then he started screaming. You were screaming with him. People rushed into the room, wondering what was happening.

Shawn calming down from his terrified, confronted Andrew and said, "I saw a ghost!"

. . .

You were on the rooftop of the arena after Shawn had finished another of his concerts. You sat on the ledge, looking towards the busy city in front of you. For an hour, you stayed there thinking of your last encounter with Shawn. You got afraid he might recognize you the next time so you stayed outside.

The door opening snapped you out of your thoughts. You sat frozen on your seat when Shawn appeared. He approached the other side of the top, not noticing you. He breathed in the chilly wind and stretched his long limbs. He turned around and saw your figure.

"Don't scream!" You immediately told him before he could shout again. Shawn only stood still.

"I'm not here to harm you or anything," you said. "I'm actually a big fan of yours and I love listening to your music. And I didn't mean to scare you last night--"

"You gave me the capo," Shawn cut. He shrugged his shoulders and returned to looking at the city. "Honestly, I'm not sure if I'm going out of my mind. I'm thanking a ghost who found me my capo."

"You're welcome." You smiled at him, hovering closer to his side.

"You said you like my music?" He raised his eyebrow.

"Love. I love your music, totally!"

"Thank you. Wow." Shawn thought to himself that he indeed was absolutely losing his mind. Oh well, what could be worse than befriending a fan from beyond the grave. "So what's your name, ghostie?"

"Y/N, at your service."

"Nice to meet you."

Absent-mindedly, you shook hands with each other, surprising the both you that you can touch Shawn and that he just made a pact of friendship with you.

And that was the start of a great journey towards the unlikely duo between music and supernatural.