4- War

Alex's POV
I looked tawards our captain, his face was panic stricken and he was breathing heavily. "I don't know when it's going to happen but the luftwaffe's (German plane) will be coming and they're planning to bomb us! So we need to move fast!" I nodded and we all rushed off. We clambered onto the ship and we went down below. I sat down before leaning against a box.

As more and more men piled in loud bangs were heard and I cringed. Dad nodded at me and I took a deep breath a man caught my attention, he was shaking violently and he looked to be in no mental state to fight. I stared at him confused "you alright?" I asked. He flinched "what do you think smartass?" he snapped. I put my hands up in defence and I looked down, shaking my head. As another bomb blew up the man flinched and he gripped his hair, breathing deeply. "I cannot do this" he said. "yes you can" I said. Trying to believe my own words.

Three months later

"run! Run! Run!" I yelled backwards to the 10 men following behind. My dad died about a week ago and I keep seeing his bloody face, it's horrifying. "it's coming round again! We need to go! Captain where do we go?" I asked running quickly alongside him. "in the water... Hold your breath and stay under for as long as you can! OK!" I nodded and motioned my hand faster for the men to continue to follow me. "ok... When he gets just above us we need to jump. Jump into the water... Hold your breath and swim to the bottom!" I exclaimed. Everyone nodded and we all got ready. "now!" I yelled. Everyone jumped, as I hit the water I opened my eyes, I began swimming down. I looked up shaking my head as I saw five floating bodies, I nodded at the five others and we all swam back up, I gasped and shook my head side to side "we need to find some form of cover" I said coughing slightly. The others nodded and we began swimming.

"look It's a boat!" the blonde boy yelled. He's probably only 16. I looked in the direction he was pointing "good eye mate, good eye" I said as we all began waving. Suddenly I noticed a familiar girl she was waving my I grinned until I noticed something. My breathing began to  get heavier. The German plane was about to drop another set of bombs "to the right!" I yelled but it was too late. Wood shards flew everywhere and her body fell into the water heavily. My eyes widened and I let out a heartbroken sob. "no! No! No!" I screamed gripping my wet hair.

"yo! Mate wake up! Wake up!" my eyes snapped open and I stared at the brown haired kid. "it was only a dream" he said, sighing slightly. "no it wasn't. My sister she got killed when we were in the water!" I exclaimed. "we were never in the water... We're still in the boat" he said placing a hand on my shoulder. I gripped my head, sighing in relief.

As more silence passed I looked tawards the young lad sat on a box looking nervous. "oi. You! Go check to see if the Germans are out" his eyes widened and he pointed to himself "yes you... Go" I said "but he'll get his head blown off!" another soldier stuck up for him "Gibson! Do it" I said staring at him angrily. He stuttered nervously and he seemed to not be talking English. As he stood up, gunshots fired and we all ducked, I covered my head closing my eyes. "cover the holes!" Tommy yelled. I swam over to the holes and began pressing my hands to them, another gunshot went off and a young kid fell to the ground, screaming. "no! I know it hurts but shut it!" Collins and farrier held him down and I cringed looking away. As more gunshots went off I knew someone had to get off.

"I don't care who but someone has to get off. Now!" I yelled looking over all the soldiers.