Chapter 15

Later that night, after Harry had been released from the hospital wing, he was resting in his four-poster bed and staring aimlessly at the crimson canopy above him when the curtains parted and a blurred red-headed figure appeared above him.

"Skipped dinner?" asked Ron as Harry shoved his glasses onto his face.

"Wasn't hungry," Harry mumbled, pulling himself into an upright position and sitting back against the headboard.

"How's your head?"

"S'alright." Harry peered closely at Ron. "Something the matter?" Ron sighed, biting his lip slightly.

"Mind if I join you?" Harry blinked and gestured at the bottom half of his bed for Ron to sit down.

"What's up?" he asked again. Ron frowned, resting his chin on his fist.

"I'm worried about...about Hermione," he said gruffly, and despite himself, Harry grinned.

"Are you now?" he said cheerfully. Ron blushed, but nodded.

"Yeah. She...I mean...what with her parents in danger and all...I think she needs someone around who she can...you know...go to for...for comfort," he stammered. "Or...something like that."

Harry quirked an eyebrow. "And you think that person should be you?" he clarified in an amused tone.

"Well...yes," Ron said, looking somewhere in the direction of Harry's left elbow. "I mean...if she wants. Obviously. I wouldn't- I mean, it's up to her, of course." His eyes darted back to Harry's. "Do you think she would?"

"Would what? Date you? Be your girlfriend?"

"Er..." Ron blushed again, dropping his gaze. "Yeah. Yeah, that."

Harry was silent for a moment, and then he grinned. "Ron, you prat, of course she would!" he exclaimed, and Ron looked at him, startled.

"Seriously?"

"Well of course! She's probably only been waiting for you to ask her since about fourth year."

"You-you think so? Really?"

"Yes." Harry shook his head, smiling. "Ron, you've both been dancing around each other for ages. It's about time you did something about it."

"And you don't have a problem with this?"

"No, I...well..." Harry paused, eyebrows furrowed. "Well, as long as you don't end up like Cho and I did-"

"Afraid to speak to each other, you mean?" Ron smirked.

"Yeah, like that. Then I'm fine with it."

"You're sure?" Ron asked.

"Haven't you supported me throughout this entire thing with Draco?" Harry pointed out. "It would be completely unfair for me not to do the same for you. You and Hermione were made for each other." Ron flushed at that, but grinned sheepishly, looking relieved.

"Well good. I was worried you'd be...um, uncomfortable with it. Maybe."

"Nah," Harry said, smiling a little. "Not a bit."

Ron nodded gratefully and, looking more relaxed, he leaned back on his elbows. "How's the thing with Draco going, anyhow?" he asked, drawing out Draco's name like it was something particularly nasty. Which, Harry assumed, it probably was, to him. "Hermione says you've been having some problems lately. Hermione says, mind. Didn't hear anything about it from you." Ron gave Harry a slightly annoyed look.

"Oh. Yeah. Sorry about that," Harry said sheepishly, rubbing the back of his neck. "I just...it feels odd, trying to talk about Draco with you. Not your fault."